Why can't I paint concrete floor with water based alkyd paint?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mousechipmunk

Reaction score
I am in the process of painting my concrete floor. It has been cleaned pretty well but not sanded or ground. Originally I was going to grind the floor with some diamond discs and do floor epoxy like I have in my garage but the dust is too much of a mess even after plastic sealing off a test area and trying to work out a dust collection system. There were also some swirl marks from the 4" diamond grinding pad that I have to repair now with some patch. Also, I don't need as much durability as garage and have no pets / kid and don't wear shoes in the house anyways.

As a result, now the plan is to just do some type of floor paint for concrete with minimal preparation. I found some Rust-Oleum stuff that is a base coat and urethan top coat. https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/rohome/ The reviews are pretty good but looks a bit fishy since it seems pretty new. I think they rebranded their Rocksolid transformation to this more generic name but am not sure.

My main concern is that most of these 1 part floor paints have poor reviews. This is a little better because it has the top coat which is urethane but am concerned that the undercoat is just some crappy soft latex or other cheap paint.

I've had good luck with Behr water based alkyd enamel on some cabinets that I painted. Its hard, can't dig fingernail into it and its easy to wipe off stains. I have some leftover and was thinking of using some concrete bonding primer to seal the concrete then use the water based alkyd paint. However, the back of the paint says not to use on floors. I'm wondering why. Can anyone with a little bit of experience with this explain?

I would think that water based alkyd would be great for floors as long as it bonds well to the primer/bonding sealer and topped off with a urethane topcoat.

Last edited:
Back