Wiring up an electrical outlet outside

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not planning on just putting the wire through there. I plan to cut a hole in it big enough for the receptacle box to fit in so I can mount it there.
I personally wouldn’t do all that cutting and fitting. I have several mounted to the surface and they are fine. The only time I would recess one if it was going in a walkway.

Do not chop that big hole in the rim joist.
Just drill a hole for metal conduit to reach the outside, then mount an elbow outside and go up about two feet more in conduit, then mount a box.
You can come into the box from the bottom.

That way, the receptacle box won’t be down near ground level, and will be less likely to be buried in snow.
And easier to reach without stooping.

You can mount a junction box inside where you drill through the rim joist, and feed it with whatever is code, romex, armored cable, or wires in conduit.
From that box up to the exterior box you can use individual 14 gauge wires for 15 amps.
And make it a double receptacle gfci box.
You will always find stuff to plug in there, especially holiday lighting while phone charging etc, more outlets is more better.

Do not chop that big hole in the rim joist.
Just drill a hole for metal conduit to reach the outside, then mount an elbow outside and go up about two feet more in conduit, then mount a box.
You can come into the box from the bottom.

That way, the receptacle box won’t be down near ground level, and will be less likely to be buried in snow.
And easier to reach without stooping.

You can mount a junction box inside where you drill through the rim joist, and feed it with whatever is code, romex, armored cable, or wires in conduit.
From that box up to the exterior box you can use individual 14 gauge wires for 15 amps.
And make it a double receptacle gfci box.
You will always find stuff to plug in there, especially holiday lighting while phone charging etc, more outlets is more better.

The place where I want it is nearly 4 feet from grade. With a 2 foot high deck being built, the outlet would still be 2 feet high from where snow will accumulate.

The place where I want it is nearly 4 feet from grade. With a 2 foot high deck being built, the outlet would still be 2 feet high from where snow will accumulate.

Unless the outlet will stick out into a walkway, I'd do a surface mount like I recommended above. The rim joist can handle the hole for the box, but I wouldn't bother. The box I linked is designed for weather exposure. They are available in other colors or could be painted to match your siding.

Plus your external receptacle must be a GFCI for safety. If it isn't a GFCI, change it when you replace the exterior box.

Back