With what do I lube this slider

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ironhat

Reaction score
I have a 4' wide slider in my new-to-me house that probably hasn't seen lubrication since it was installed 20 yrs ago. It was stiff along its entire length so we cleaned the track and then, lubed and cleaned the rollers, as best I could, with Kroil. I sure cleaned the rollers all right. Now I can barely open the door wide enough to pass through. So, what is the best lube to use> I have about anything you can think of, even Slick 50, Militec, silicone, synthetic 5w-30...

I don't see the picture, but usually there are screws on either edge of the door that can be turned to tighten or loosen the rollers. Look for a hole on the edge of the door, about 2 inches up from the bottom.

When you cleaned and lubricated the rollers, did you remove the slider from the door frame, and if not, you need to start over.

All good suggestions, without removing the whole thing there's no way to even check to see the rollers are turning or lubing them.
All I've ever used is Silicone, anything else will attract dirt.
The most common issues I've found is broken rollers or spring, or rollers out of adjustment.

If you find that you need parts, I would suggest that you try Strybuc Industries at www.strybuc.com. They specialize in hard to find hardware for all types of doors and windows.

Thanks folks!! I surely do appreciate all the comments and suggestions. I'll have to wait for my son-in-law to get a friend to wrestle that beast of a door. I guess that laying the door on its side is the safest way to do this. Thanks again, all.

It shouldn't be that heavy if it is only 24 inches wide. Lift it, and swing the bottom towards you, and pull it down out of the top track.

I had to go back and see if I had misinformed everybody. The door is 4 feet wide - 48 inches. That sounds closer to 100 pounds. Thanks for your input, Jeff !

So the slider is 8 feet wide???

Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you meant that the slider was 48 inches, meaning that each door was 24 inches.

I took my 4' door out and replaced rollers. To do so I adjusted the rollers (via the screwdriver slots) to the lowest position so that we could lift the door off the track and and out of the frame.

Back