Wood heat is great but extreme low humidity-ECM motor?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JUNEBUG 88

Reaction score
Update on fireplace; It is rated very efficient at 90%. I believe it! So far the most wood we burned during winter was about 2.5 cords of hardwood. Our family owns the forest of trees we just cut,split and haul. It is considered a vacation time for us to do this for my wife and I. However this has changed now, since I can no longer cut wood nor get to the tree due to the wheelchair issue. Wife & Family will have to cut and do most of spitting maybe I can work the controls for splitter. Still glad we are using wood heat instead of gas heat. On the coldest night of 0 degrees or lower (2) 5.5 inch diameter logs 16 inches long will last 7-8 hrs and still put out 400 degrees of heat. we use 2 small 8 inch fans running lo speed for 20 minutes on the hour to distribute heat throughout ranch style house. Our gas bill does not change from summer to Winter. Our electric bill is very high when considering we need furnace fan for filter or humidity control only not heat.

Only problem we have in house is extreme low humidity! With my old furnace (1989) it is inefficient to run the fan and furnace humidifier for humidity and filtration. The so called whole house humidifiers only work in one room and not the fireplace room.
Any ideas on maybe converting furnace fan motor to ECM motor? With the new fan motor running at a slower circulation speed for humidity circulation cost of water heater may go up a bit but electric bill should go down with lower motor wattage bill.
The only time we use gas heat is when we go out of town for weekend or mild winter day of 60 degrees otherwise we use wood heat all the time.

Is the ECM cost effective.
I also need a new humidifier our aprilaire housing leaks.

When the furnace humidifier was working correctly prior to it leaking water it raised level of humidity in house to comfortable level with furnace fan running 20-30 minutes.

ECM motor may or may not be worth the cost for what you intend to use the furnace for. IT seems you are just using the furnace motor to distribute humidity from the new furnace mounted humidifier? Do you need recommendation for low plenum temperature humidifier?

Yes I want to use furnace motor to distribute the humidity throughout the house, at lower speed than what is running now. The high speed is not saving us on electric bills in winter. Which furnace mounted humidifiers work best with low plenum temp I will probably still have to use hot water though. This thread is going nowhere and I am getting dizzy answering my own questions.

Talking to your self is no different than talking to a crowd when no one is listening and sometimes if you want an intelligible answer, you have to answer your own questions. Wish I could help.;)

Furnace installers I have talked to just want to install a new furnace which I do NOT want nor need. I turn on the furnace for a few weekends per winter season. They do NOT answer my questions either if a new motor is available for my furnace. I have looked on internet and motor may be available but recommends professional install, which I cannot get. Nor can I can get answers about from this forum or installers. I guess I will try other forums?

We look to Paul for the best answers on this stuff. I see now, he is in hospital dealing with cancer and hope he will be back soon. Good luck on your quest.

We are praying for a full recovery for him, it is no fun being out of commission I have been since 1996 with 3 back surgeries and now partially paralyzed and in need of a power wheelchair. But since I am able to walk with walker for 10-15 feet on level,absolutely level ground insurance co say I do not need a wheelchair. They do not understand my legs give out after those 15 ft and I can't get back after walking 15 ft.
WE are trying to save as much money as we can because of medical bills,hence the ECM motor to distribute the humidity with wood heat. I have my wood heat stacked in the garage for next year already.MY gas bill is less than $30/month and the wood is owned by us,so we just pay for extra gas used for hauling wood home from property when we go to cabin anyway.

Ya have to love those insurance companies don't ya:rolleyes: I doubt a new motor would be cost effective.

[ame]http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=%22calculating+payback+periods%22&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8[/ame]

Back