Wood Price Impact

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eddie_T

Reaction score
I guess I'll give up woodworking as a hobby after my supply of scrap wood is used up. I may still use the bandsaw and lathe to convert firewood into useful objects but no more big projects.

Even though the price of wood is ridicules and I wont get into my thoughts on why that is. Around here there are other options. A lot of small saw mills have popped up with guys milling in their barns. A lot here are Amish and if you get to know the folks they make more than they can use. It is not dried properly but will work if stacked for a few years. Also even though the price is high now people are still lazy and labor is also high and no one seems to reuse lumber. My whole deck was built from a Craigslist ad of a guy wanting an old above ground pool and deck removed. He wanted 400 bucks and had no takers and I told him it would be gone and cleaned up but I wouldn’t pay to do his work so I got it for free. I hauled away a good 6 pickup loads of PT wood and only used about half on the deck. Had to buy screws and stain though.

You mentioned firewood. Her grandfather built every piece of furniture in their house out of firewood it is all beautiful. He also built about 10 of these castle like clocks that each had a couple thousand hours of sawing thousands of tiny shapes into the pieces. We are lucky enough to have one. They were all oak, cherry and walnut firewood pieces he band sawed and dried and ran thru a little mill he had.

There is so much waste today keep your eyes open it is out there.

. . .that still may not save us.
Malthus predicted that eventually we would starve but technology keeps pushing off that day.
But I think sooner or later we all will have to pay the piper.

I'd like to get discarded retail lighting fixtures but they're 277v.

there was a shoes store that recently closed near me. in the back room they had hundreds of very old pine boards. 12inches wide and i inch thick. I loaded up as i am retired and have nothing to do, so i made furniture as a hobby . I still have many boards. But it is so cold in my man cave ever if i turn up the heaters it will still take a day or two to get to a good wood shop temp like 65 degrees, this is Canada, tomorrow going to - 25 .

Negative 25°!?!? That is crazy - I question my sanity staying in Pennsylvania when it'll get down into the teen's (maybe a few days a year)!
Come on up to the other corner of the state on Lake Erie. We get the wind across the lake after it freezes from our friends to the north. Couple years ago it was -35F when I left for work.

Come on up to the other corner of the state on Lake Erie. We get the wind across the lake after it freezes from our friends to the north. Couple years ago it was -35F when I left for work.
I grew up in the Harrisburg area, I don't think I ever saw -35F. Sub-zero was fairly rare, but not unheard of.

I grew up in the Harrisburg area, I don't think I ever saw -35F. Sub-zero was fairly rare, but not unheard of.
I have lived 67 years in this area and seen several spans of climate change. As a kid we would get snow and build a snow fort and continue building it all winter and it would melt in the spring. same with snowmen. Then some mad winters with breaks in the middle. Then some mild winters . Then long again. Some winters the lake will freeze solid and some winters know ice at all. This one so far was mild thru the new year and now it is getting going. snowfall is low so far.

My daughter lived in Fairbanks for several years. Her first winter there they had a 10 day stretch where it was never above -45F and was down to -60F at times. They generally don't have much wind though. You plug your car heater in, even at parking lots.

Back