Your input on my windows.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoBoBoyd

Reaction score
I am in the design stage of a 24x30 detached garage. 11'6" ceiling, 7' hip roof on top. 24' side faces street and will have standard door installed 3' inside left corner.

Now for the windows---
I'm thinking one 3x3 on each of the 24' ends, but they look a little small in the drawing with the high ceiling. The back side will have no windows, and the front will have two 9x8 doors.

What is your input?

I would say for looks 4x4 4x5 4x6 would look better and give you a lot more light.

Unless the windows will interfere with your storage and working space plans, I agree I would draw out the size of window that looks good on your plan then scale them to see what size you end up with.

A couple other thoughts, Using shutters will make the windows LOOK larger from the outside and sometimes alleviate the 'scale' issue.

Also if window cost is an issue you can save a lot of money by looking at the type of window you purchase. If you ONLY want the window for light and aesthetics, purchase 'picture' style windows. They are usually 40% LESS than any other window styles that open.

NEXT least expensive is usually a Sliding window. These will open on one half and mimic a more expensive casement (or crank out) style window.

Hope this helps.

I am building a 24x40, same ceiling height as you, and wanted to have enough light and ventilation, but not lose all of my walls to windows. I decided on tall narrow ones, so I'd have plenty of walls left for cabinets and shelves.

654075130_dtCVi-M-1.jpg

654075231_FBvXF-M-1.jpg

654075110_apaMh-M-1.jpg

hey steevo that was a great idea....it's going to look great also....nice:)

Those pictures of your window Steevo looks great! :) And yes, more room for wall cabinets and shelves! :) Very nice work!

Back