Building a hunting shack.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Chris

A buddy of mine owns a bunch of land in central CA that we have been hunting for a while now. They used to use it quite a bit before us and had it fixed up pretty well with some old travel trailers and stuff but over the years those are just mouse homes and need to be burned. We have decided to build a basic shack, kind of like a shed but sealed as good as we can get it. We are going to run it all 12 volt with a deep cycle and solar charger and bring up a generator when we use it. My question is it would be nice to have a place to go to the bathroom other then next to a tree. They have an old outhouse over a hole in the ground already but it is run down, we could rebuild it but I have been thinking about one of those composting toilets? I have no idea how they work or if it would be a good choice so figured I would ask you guys,

We are heading up Friday morning to do some deer hunting and get started on this project.

They seem to be in use more and more, there is some smell from the units from what I've heard. Maybe you could talk to Austin and see if he could start a composting toilet web site...;)

burry a 55 gallon drum, with a 20' section of perf pipe exiting it for the drain field. daylight the end

build a 4x4 ft floor. mount a toilet on a closet collar, dropping straight down into the barrel

typical hunting camp toilet

11012065_829165337165278_2335228775580332686_n.jpg

burry a 55 gallon drum, with a 20' section of perf pipe exiting it for the drain field. daylight the end

build a 4x4 ft floor. mount a toilet on a closet collar, dropping straight down into the barrel

typical hunting camp toilet

How do you flush without water?

where is the water?

gotta be water, critters gotta drink, pour a bucket of water in the bowl

or

my bad,,we do not worry about water, rivers every where, need a damn boat to do anything
we just scoop a bucket of water out of the river, dump it in the toilet.
some get fancy, lil giant pump and run a pipe from the river.
leave the pipe, and take the pump with when you leave

Last edited:
The composting toilets I have seen were terrible. They smelled. They were high. You needed a step to get on them.

Also they need 120 volts to heat the stuff.

Frodo has the right idea.I have a neighbor that installed a composting toilet himself and the cost of the toilet was over $3k.

There is a reason they put the “Out” in Outhouse. Cut the bottom out of the barrel bury it in the ground build your little building complete with crescent moon cutout in the door, mount a seat for comfort above the hole in the bench and set a bag of lime with a sugar scoop in it in one corner and the TP holder in the other corner. With hunting camp usage I would say you are good for ten years. At that time start with a new barrel and dig the new hole about 20 feet from the old using the dirt from the new hole to cap the old one. A well-built outhouse on skids should last at least 100 years.

As for the cabin I would build it at home and move it there if I was building one. Much cheaper would be to find another used camper in good shape and build a covered porch to sit in front of it.

We have a 300 gallon water tank and will have rain gutters to collect water. There is a lake about 1/4 mile away that we can bring water from but we won't count on that.

There is a reason they put the “Out” in Outhouse. Cut the bottom out of the barrel bury it in the ground build your little building complete with crescent moon cutout in the door, mount a seat for comfort above the hole in the bench and set a bag of lime with a sugar scoop in it in one corner and the TP holder in the other corner. With hunting camp usage I would say you are good for ten years. At that time start with a new barrel and dig the new hole about 20 feet from the old using the dirt from the new hole to cap the old one. A well-built outhouse on skids should last at least 100 years.

As for the cabin I would build it at home and move it there if I was building one. Much cheaper would be to find another used camper in good shape and build a covered porch to sit in front of it.

thats how we do it.

I back pac my hunting blinds in.

this is a turkey blind,

I use 3/4 emt, smash the ends, cover it in chicken wire
this year, let it sit and the brush / vines cover it, next year you wont be able to see it

tore down it all fits in a pac,

turkey blind 001.jpg

turkey blind 002.jpg

If you go to this site and browse the "Sanitation" section in the Survivor Library Files, you may find some interesting reads. I'm sure you'll find some other interesting topics given that you're camp is off grid and this site is specifically about that. Some of the documents are old technology, but it's technology that worked.

http://www.survivorlibrary.com/

did you know a crayon, will burn for 30 minutes?

put a wick in can of crisco, light all night

hand sanitiser, will burn like sterno, not hot enough to cook, but will keep you and coffee warm

vaselene soaked cotton swabs as water proof fire starter.

your poncho, and 20' op paracord is a hammock

prefab cabin 4x4 sections make a 8x8 room

that can be added to , making a 16x8

prefab at house, number sections, drill holes

bolt together on site

HrmSZzr.jpg

That is kind of the plan. My buddy is a custom home builder so hopefully he can figure that part out. I left him in charge of the building itself, I will be taking over plumbing, electrical and other fun stuff. I am debating bringing my Mini Excavator up there but towing 12,000 pounds for six hours doesn't sound that appealing.

That is kind of the plan. My buddy is a custom home builder so hopefully he can figure that part out. I left him in charge of the building itself, I will be taking over plumbing, electrical and other fun stuff. I am debating bringing my Mini Excavator up there but towing 12,000 pounds for six hours doesn't sound that appealing.

And I thought a 1-1/2 hour drive to our lease was a long pull....:eek:

If you still had a Ford, you wouldn't know it was back there...

I don't know it is behind my cummins either and I still get 15 mpg. Problem is California only lets you tow at 55mph.

my hunting cabin is...oh wait, I'm living in it.

living out..has its advantages, true.

but,,it has a lot of disadvantages also.

when you want a burger or a steak, you go..and are their in 5 minutes.

hardware store also.

its an hour drive to do anything but go to church or buy gas around here

take the mini, shovels aint fun

Latest posts

Back