Building a hunting shack.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll get some more pics of the inside tomorrow before I pack up.

dont feel bad Chris. i forgot to tie my mower down on my trailer.

it rolled off in the middle of an intersection.

I had to put it back on with EVERYONE looking and laughing.

em bare assed the crap out of me

Finally home! Took 8 hours to do a 5 hour drive. Came home to 85 degree heat and it never felt so cool in my life. While building the shack it was 105 with high humidity.

Got a lot done in a couple days. Will be back up there in November for a turkey hunt and will bring some more furnishings.

Decided on actual working toilet and have it plumbed. I put in a 300 gallon water tank that will be filled by the rain gutter. Then I have it going into the house via a 12 volt pump. I have two deep cycle batteries on a solar charger and led lighting inside.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Repair1439871980.304150.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Repair1439871995.015107.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Repair1439872013.649194.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Repair1439872027.281827.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Repair1439872049.029177.jpg

I just showed Cindy your pics. She commented on how resourceful you are and then said, "You mean he left his wife at home with two little kids while he is doing this s#!t?"

Women! LOL

From this shack it's over an hour drive to the nearest store or place to buy anything. If we don't bring it in it ain't coming. It takes about a half hour just getting the few miles down the narrow half gone trail.

Hey, you don't need to convince me. That's what men do. We are the hunters/gatherers. At least that's what I tell myself while I'm cleanin' toilets!

It sure did suck driving home in 110 degree heat with a broken back window. It was like having a furnace blow on me.

I'd imagine the local bears will have that plastic water tank in a zillion pieces pretty quick?

Nice job Chris. I agree put the tank higher and save the water for other things and dig a pit to go in outside. Might want to throw a chlorine pool pill in the tank when you go each time. What’s the normal rain fall there?

Only other concerns I have is it went past “Shack” status after post #21. And what are those little tiny animals people keep posting pictures of? They almost look like the white tail deer we have in pa. :eek:

I'm thinking I will build a platform for the tank.

I agree it ain't a shack anymore. The goal was to seal it up best we could to keep critters out so essentially it is a small house.

Cost was about 1500 bucks and whatever other materials we had laying around. Took us four days to build with two of us.

Those are black tail deer. I went hunting every morning and evening. Probably saw 50 doe's.

This property has deer, turkey, bear, pig, quail, dove and all the predators.

Sounds like its gonna be a blast for years to come. I love mine...basic, and quiet.. its the good life.:beer:

Last edited:
We are thinking of digging a pond up there this year. I can bring a tractor in but not sure about filling it.

let the good Lord fill it. It outta take about 3 years

Latest posts

Back