california going dry

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Diesel has always been higher here too. I have no idea why. It can't be as expensive to refine as gasoline, but the price still remains higher. I bought some yesterday for $2.4? per gallon.

Diesel is cheaper to refine than gas. I'm told it's because it's traded as a commodity and in more demand than supply as opposed to gas. I drive a dodge cummins. 240k miles and I'm going to get every last mile I can out of her. Buying a vechicle is just crazy now days. You lose 5k driving off the lot!

Farming, Fishing and Oil are all great industries and all have been responsible for environmental mishaps. Look at the dust bowl in the 30’s or killer bees brought to Brazil in the 50’s or the over fishing of the Great Lakes where I live. Yes there have been Oil related disasters manmade and naturally occurring. Not to mention Mount St Helens in 1980. All these things are bad, and water is important.

Do anything long enough and there will be a mishap even working on houses.

Everything bad hasn’t happened do to greed and big companies and everything good hasn’t been because of the little guy. How many billions of gallons of fuel have been shipped without a problem. Pipelines work safer than train cars or ships but some people are against pipelines and some in government as well.

I’m not saying there are not many great advancements dealing with water that need to be done. I just don’t see government should be in the driver’s seat getting them done. Try and imagine building Hover Dam today, it was a big deal in the 30’s who’s talking about a project like that today?

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/...il-fuel-exploration-double-under-obamas-watch
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agricultural_subsidy
http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/walmart-government-subsidies-study
Give me a break!

Diesel is cheaper to refine than gas. I'm told it's because it's traded as a commodity and in more demand than supply as opposed to gas. I drive a dodge cummins. 240k miles and I'm going to get every last mile I can out of her. Buying a vechicle is just crazy now days. You lose 5k driving off the lot!

I have the same truck. Best one out there and hope you don't plan on getting rid of it because it will likely outlast any new car you buy.

What some people don’t know from a barrel of crude oil you don’t get to pick and choose what you make from it. There is a distillation process and it yields what it can of gasoline and diesel. When it was first drilled for the product they wanted was kerosene for home lighting and the more volatile stuff like gasoline was considered too dangerous to use as there were no cars with engines to burn it in. They were brewing out what they could sell that had uses and dumping the rest, massive pollution issues. The country was becoming electrified but mostly only the cities thus the huge demand for lamp oil. Guys like Ford came along and said don’t throw that fuel out we could build automobiles to use it with internal combustion engines. Over the years the industry has found uses for all of it. People hate the plastic products but they are really a byproduct and need to be used up for something. The evil corporation McDonalds used to give you your sandwich in a little box made of foam. It was cleaner cheaper and a 100 times more environmental friendly than a paper box that uses lots of energy to make. It also kept your food warmer and broke down quickly in landfills to almost nothing but a soil amendment. The public outcry over McDonalds not being green with these evil foam containers caused them to change back to the manufactured “Green” paper box.

The proportion of gas and diesel being used has to stay in balance. We all can’t drive diesel. That is one of many factors that go into the pricing. There is also more tax on diesel going back to Nixon as only large trucks then used it and it was a way to increase road tax on one group indirectly.

Here is the breakdown.
http://www.oilspillsolutions.org/refining.htm

Good Read.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a4567/4330313/

petroleum-products-by-barrel-l.jpg

This is a little confusing, as I understand that home heating oil and diesel are actually the same thing. I wonder if this infographic is actual production or just an illustration of where the product goes in the market.

But that could also help explain why CA has low diesel prices, ....because they have less demand for home heating oil.

Diesel as far as I know has to be cleaner than home heating oil due to regulations. And off road gets a red dye. Diesels will run on quite a few things. I have a friend that takes all the used cooking oil from around town runs it thru a filter and has a tank with a heater in it in his truck to get it thin enough and plows snow with krispy Kream oil and his truck running makes you hungry for donuts.

I’m sure there is overlap between fuel and heating oil so it could reflect how it is sold.

I have read that something like 20 big ships pump more crap in the air than all the cars in the world.

Just like a normal lawn mower pollutes more in its life than you new car does. Don't know how true it is but I believe it.

Just like a normal lawn mower pollutes more in its life than you new car does. Don't know how true it is but I believe it.

No catalytic converter on the lawn mowers but I think that is still a stretch, if you look at the amount it is used.

Diesel as far as I know has to be cleaner than home heating oil due to regulations. And off road gets a red dye. Diesels will run on quite a few things. I have a friend that takes all the used cooking oil from around town runs it thru a filter and has a tank with a heater in it in his truck to get it thin enough and plows snow with krispy Kream oil and his truck running makes you hungry for donuts.

I’m sure there is overlap between fuel and heating oil so it could reflect how it is sold.

From what I know , as a dummy keep in mind , diesel and heating oil are the same. There is #1 and #2 diesel , I forget which , but it's sold in winter here for vechicles. The winter diesel and heating oil are the same , heating oil and off road diesel are dyed red. Thas why they dip tanks on truckers .....red dye means no road tax was added and a big fine.

I have ran heating oil in my truck alot , because people convert thier furnaces to natural gas , and I have taken what was left in thier tank and ran it in my truck.

Diesel engines themselves can run just about anything as a fuel. Coal , natural gas , ect. It's just a matter of getting the fuel to it . Most vechicles are plumbed to accept clean diesel , with the injection pumps and injectors.

10 yrs ago I converted my truck to run on waste veggy oil. Did it for a bit. At the time , the pickup of the used oil charged restaurants to haul it away. Now they pay them to take it. So at that point it wasn't free anymore and a waste of time.

From what I know , as a dummy keep in mind , diesel and heating oil are the same. There is #1 and #2 diesel , I forget which , but it's sold in winter here for vechicles. The winter diesel and heating oil are the same , heating oil and off road diesel are dyed red. Thas why they dip tanks on truckers .....red dye means no road tax was added and a big fine.

I have ran heating oil in my truck alot , because people convert thier furnaces to natural gas , and I have taken what was left in thier tank and ran it in my truck.

Diesel engines themselves can run just about anything as a fuel. Coal , natural gas , ect. It's just a matter of getting the fuel to it . Most vechicles are plumbed to accept clean diesel , with the injection pumps and injectors.

10 yrs ago I converted my truck to run on waste veggy oil. Did it for a bit. At the time , the pickup of the used oil charged restaurants to haul it away. Now they pay them to take it. So at that point it wasn't free anymore and a waste of time.

Diesel and home heating oil are the same if you compare off road diesel. At least in the states on road diesel the stuff without the red die are held to a higher standard and or have ash and sulphur removed or lowered to meet emission regulations. You are not allowed as you mentioned to run any of the red dyed diesel in an on road. The fine is quite high and they go back based on the miles on your odometer and fine you so much per mile assuming you have used it all along so if you have 250,000 miles on your truck and they dip your tank you are going to be paying the rest of your life.

I know a kid that runs red diesel and he keeps a half dozen empty ATF bottles in the back of his truck and tells me if he gets stopped he’s going to tell them hell ya its red I add ATF to my fuel as it helps my engine. Some of his red neck buddies told him this works. I told him to knock it off as he’s going to get fined. Time will tell.

Three more major water line breaks last night.

These pipes can't handle the pressure and surges they get when people are not using water. During the day so many people use water that it keeps the pressures lower throughout the system and at night it used to be irrigation. Now with much less night time usage thing are popping.

The good citizens of California have created this mess by being obedient to the powers that be by using less water. NOW WHAT?

Hey, I heard California is in for an El nina or nino. I don't know which one is which, but it sounds like you may be in for flooding and all that sort of thing.

I guess you have to be careful what you wish for.:)

There is a lot of talk about floods and lots and lots of rain this year. Wonder if they will still be singing the same tune this time next year.

I throughly confused now. The news just reported that we had six major storms up north in the last couple of months that has kept our reservoirs full and without them we might have faced a shortage.

I'm glued to the TV watching that fire take out those cars.

I'm also hearing about this great "El Nino" coming this fall/winter. I sure hope it waits for me to install drains and gutters.

I'm wondering if it wouldn't have been safer to drive the car out of the way of the fire instead of running. I didn't see the whole news clip though.

There is a lot of talk about floods and lots and lots of rain this year. Wonder if they will still be singing the same tune this time next year.
They will be raising your taxes to build better storm drains to get rid of all that water.

Back