Improper plumbing & trying to remodel bathroom/laundry

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok. so you would like a blueprint like the actual blue one you linked showing where stuff is? (tryng to type with cats in the way).

The part left not whited out in the last pic is the front porch. It is concrete and raised up off the ground. I'll have to see if I can sketch something up once the caats are not inthe way.

ooooooooooooooooooooooo

simshousenotes.jpg

Last edited:
This any better? (still covered in cats-- apparently it's cold outside).

I think some of the text got lost in compression. The gate between front and back part of the little yard on the left side got crushed by the falling tree so it is gone. The perimeter fence is chain-link. The fence that used to be in front of the yard (north side) was removed after taking damage from trees-- but there is still a gate at the end of the sidewalk.

The cement block on the south side of the house used to be some sort of well that was filled in and/or covered.

The southern side of the fence has some crepe mertle trees near it. We buried a few pets under them over the years.

simshousenotes2.jpg

simshousenotes3.jpg

Last edited:
I am not worried about the outside, it is the inside I need,

location of the plumbing fixtures

I am not worried about the outside, it is the inside I need,

location of the plumbing fixtures
Ahh! Ok. I'll try to sketch it up when my brain is working. Should I mark known outside water faucets too?

Ahh! Ok. I'll try to sketch it up when my brain is working. Should I mark known outside water faucets too?

sure.............................................................................

I was sick for the last few days and am finally feeling well enough to think clearly.
First pic is the current layout. The blue represents cold water, red is hot. I only included the fixtures that use water (although I forgot the dish-washer but it is a rolling freestanding thing that hooks to the kitchen sink faucet and I almost never use it anyway). In the bathroom and laundry room the sinks are gone and the rough-in plumbing is there. The main vent stack is behind the toilet in B1. That toilet is the only fixture in the house that is properly vented. The main soil pipe is just under that toilet and travels west to the septic tank.
There are outdoor faucets in multiple places throughout the yard. One on the west near the porch, then farther out at the car port (to the west), one to the south of the water well and another to the north of it (east side of the house). And one just outside the back door. The latter two are the only ones that aren't broken.
Pic 1 (current layout)
tumblr_ogw51vnlsP1qkwd9ao1_1280.png

Pic 2 (planned layout)
tumblr_ogw51vnlsP1qkwd9ao2_1280.png

Pic 3 (zoomed out a little)
tumblr_ogw51vnlsP1qkwd9ao3_1280.png

Is this better?

Let me know if you need more details on anything.

Last edited:
In bath 1, is that sink in a cabinet or on a pedestal ?

if it is cabinet, because of your rim joist, i will vent it and the toilet from that side wall.

In bath 1, is that sink in a cabinet or on a pedestal ?

if it is cabinet, because of your rim joist, i will vent it and the toilet from that side wall.
The lavatory is a freestanding Euro-style vanity where the sink comes out over the edge of the little cabinet. Since the plumbing is already coming up through the floor, I was thinking of bumping it forward (since it has a drawer on the bottom) and putting a little shelf behind it to hold cups and whatever. I plan to make a medicine cabinet out of 3x1 boards with a cheap mirror on the front and have it mounted on the wall (but not going into it).

This is the sink/vanity:
tumblr_n60ujuV8JL1qkwd9ao1_500.jpg

This is the roughed in plumbing for it (which I will have to move because I need to re-do the floor in there anyway-- substrate got ruined from a washing machine leak from back when that room had parquet flooring):
tumblr_mp1lmd8j3D1qkwd9ao4_1280.jpg

early sketch of my plans for lav and toilet (probably won't be enough room for space saver)
tumblr_nojngo6pE81qkwd9ao1_1280.jpg

What is a rim joist? I've heard the term before but am not sure what it is.
Edit: so the rim joist is the corner joist? By side wall, did you mean something like this (but angled sort of toward the corner rather than directly to the side.
tumblr_ogxp5bfC7h1qkwd9ao1_500.png

Last edited:
that is exactly my plan, becase of he rim joist,,,or,,,furr the wall out 3.5''

chart.jpg

that is exactly my plan, becase of he rim joist,,,or,,,furr the wall out 3.5''

Thanks! I don't know if the house is that well constructed. The first bedroom and bathroom were the original parts of the house built back in the 40s I think. There isn't even insulation in the exterior walls-- but I think there is shiplap (sp?) on one of the interior walls. I'll have to take the crappy wall panels off to take a look at the construction.

So, it's ok to wet vent the toilet to the sink like that? It won't siphon?

Thanks! I don't know if the house is that well constructed. The first bedroom and bathroom were the original parts of the house built back in the 40s I think. There isn't even insulation in the exterior walls-- but I think there is shiplap (sp?) on one of the interior walls. I'll have to take the crappy wall panels off to take a look at the construction.

Think of the rim joist this way. It is the one sitting on the foundation or the one nailed across the ends of the floor joist.
The house should be platform built so it will have a rim joist.

it is ok,,,all we are doing is moving the vent a littl furthr away.

you run into this problem on ll outside walls. .another solution is to 45 into the wall down below the kick plate of the cabinets.

chart.jpg

Since I plan to bump the vanity forward probably 3" to 4" to have a little shelf behind just to make room for the water pipes so they wouldn't need to be inside the wall. I would probably still need to do a slight bend to get the vent inside the wall. I'm trying o be mindful of making sure there is as little resistance to draining as possible. Which would be less obstructive to flow? A slight bend in the trap arm to angle it to the wall (assuming I put the P-trap at a diagonal-- with a little extra room from bumping the lav forward and out from the wall to allow elbow room and a side shelf) or having the 45 lower down?

Or is it just about equal?

I believe the side wall is load-bearing but I'm not sure if that makes any difference. Although, if it does, it might mean there might be some sort of joist underneath that wall.

But, I think both plans are still feasible for now-- I won't know for sure until I pull those fugly thin wall panels off. LOL.

Thank you so much, btw! *hugs*

i would rather "bump" the wall out than offset the drain,

offsets are legal, and common place, BUT, any change in direction is a place for a clog, later .or it may never.

you are going to have this problem at the kitchen sink, clothes washer and lav in master bath

zanne4.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks again, Frodo!
I'm thinking I might do a bit of a bulkhead instead of bumping the entire wall out. That way there is less to move. I should really take a peek at the floor situation under the side wall.

Although, I wonder if I use less than a 45degree bend on the vent if I could get it angled up into the wall (or would I likely have a joist on top as well?)

I am seriously tempted to just slap AAVs on the existing sinks in the bathrooms now that the Louisiana plumbing code was repealed and goes by 2012 IPC.

The fridge does have an icemaker although it is not currently hooked to the water because the line was leaking and we shut it off. Will have to fix that and hook it back up so we can use the ice maker again.

One addendum:
The main soil pipe is actually underneath where the old toilet in bathroom 1 is.
Here's an old sketch to show the placement.
tumblr_o30y3vUfEV1qkwd9ao1_r3_500.png

Modified version of your sketch.
tumblr_oh40wswrm11qkwd9ao1_1280.png

Also, I was thinking of keeping up part of the wall to the existing bathroom right when people come through the door (bc it has some wiring in it for light switches).
The metal thing is the back of a medicine cabinet.
tumblr_mp1lmd8j3D1qkwd9ao1_1280.jpg

So it would look something like this:
tumblr_o1obbnI8lv1qkwd9ao6_1280.png

It would allow me to put the plumbing in that wall instead of the exterior wall.

Edit: Since the lav in bathroom 2 has a window above it, could I just run the trap arm to the shared wall with bathroom 3 and have them share a vent pipe? The vanity in bathroom 2 has drawers but I think there is enough space behind them to run the pipe.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back