What's your Temp?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have owned several grove heaters. In Michigan, my Uncle set my Dad's garage on fire with one. It didn't burn down, but had some pretty badly scorched lumber on a couple of walls. I loaned the same offending heater to a friend and he burned his Dad's garage to the ground with it. I'm sure if I had bought it in California there would have been lots of warning labels stuck on it about using it indoors.

That type is more of a grove heater and may have been called a smudge pot in the south and west. The things we called smudge pots looked like a cannon ball and they set them on the road to warn cars of up coming construction and such. They would also put out some heat but nothing like the type with the chimney and the pot on the bottom.

Temp is going up and snow is melting. My new gravel is a mess from the plow.

In the 30's and 50 mph winds. Gonna check the property for damage then hitting the junk yard for jeep parts.

At 9:23 PM on 1/3/2016, it is 22.2F. We have about 1" of snow and bare roads. - Very acceptable and I saw a few die-hards out on a local golf course (orange or lime green balls, of course).

Some people are out on the water, but not for long. A friend is busy catching 16" to 24" walleyes from shore on the Mississippi river daily.

Because of the warm early winter the national (or international) "pond hockey" tournament has been delayed a few weeks requiring hundreds of teams to reschedule by a couple of weeks to insure good natural ice. That is a big problem for the hotels and flights for the teams and hosts.

The snowmobilers are complaining, but the skiers are happy with the temperatures for making snow.

Dick

It is starting to feel like winter finally, 7F this morning. Last night about 11pm we hit the hot tub it was about 10F out and the walk across the snow covered deck was a little cold on the bare feet but once in the 102F water all was well with the world.

Ski slopes had a rough start up this year but are going strong now. It is one of those things when people have to wait to ski they start wanting to go so bad when they do open they more than make up what they lost getting a late start.

We moved up from 36th place to 23rd in the snowfall contest with that foot of snow we had a couple weeks ago. We are still 28” below our normal snowfall. Sioux Falls is in first place with 36” and they are 19” ahead of normal. If we keep getting the wind from across the lake we will reel them in in no time.

http://goldensnowglobe.com/all-snowiest-us-cities/

Wish I had my camera earlier. My dirt road was a nasty river of mud and rock. I have a natural runoff going through my property that had a nice waterfall today and I could have put my boat on part of it.

Watching the news last night as it was 5F here and nothing to get me out of the house, I saw the reports on all the flooding out west. All the videos showed these man made riverbeds made out of concrete filled to the brim. Not sure where these flow to but didn’t seem like any of that water was going back into the aquafer.

Do they have reverse wells dug to let the water into the ground?

The construction of these man-made riverbeds looks like they have been in place for many years, so it must be common to get this type of heavy rains. We are being lead to believe this is all recent climate change activity causing all these droughts and flooding.

I was just wondering how much of this water gets stored back into the earth?

Watching the news last night as it was 5F here and nothing to get me out of the house, I saw the reports on all the flooding out west. All the videos showed these man made riverbeds made out of concrete filled to the brim. Not sure where these flow to but didn’t seem like any of that water was going back into the aquafer.

The construction of these man-made riverbeds looks like they have been in place for many years, so it must be common to get this type of heavy rains. We are being lead to believe this is all recent climate change activity causing all these droughts and flooding.

Last year they were talking about removing the concrete to make the LA river and others back to natural. Of course nothing ever came of it.

We have many areas that could be made into lakes or retention ponds. A few abandoned quarries and whatnot.

The problem out here is politics. As soon as someone comes up with an idea that would actually help it is immediately shot down for some environmental issue or some group that thinks it won't help enough so why bother.

Luckily in my area we don't have any concrete channels. I'm sure it helps to put at least a little water back into the ground where we need it.

How about they go along ever 100 feet and sink a well and let all that water go down the well. I bet that would get the tree huggers going

It’s out of the single digits here now and should be mid 40’s by the weekend.

Still raining and flooding here. Instead of putting pipe in the ground we are moving mud and pumping trenches.

Half the city was built on the flood plain only made possible after the river was contained. Periodic storms like this, the river would just cut a new path to the beach. Things might be able to be done to please the tree huggers but it would cost a furtune for the studies on how to do it never mind doing it.

Latest posts

Back