2 / 15amp Breakers Joined..

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorPlan

Reaction score
:help: Long & Short of it is a 2 / 15 amp Joined Breakers Popped... Have Flipped On / Off a few times .. No Resistence, won't Click On as it should.. Would that mean possibly the Breaker is Toast ??

Or there is a short and it tripping instantly.

Not sure what this breaker could be. You've described a 2-pole breaker which would be for a 240V something.
Not big enough for typical 240V clothes dryer, electric stove, A/C compressor or base board heater.
Whatever this circuit is for, remove the load and then try to reset the breaker. If no luck, then replace the breaker.

Not sure what this breaker could be. You've described a 2-pole breaker which would be for a 240V something.
Not big enough for typical 240V clothes dryer, electric stove, A/C compressor or base board heater.
Whatever this circuit is for, remove the load and then try to reset the breaker. If no luck, then replace the breaker.

Two circuits on a three wire are tied together.

I think what kok328 is saying the it's a 2p15 which is pretty odd.

Two circuits on a three wire are tied together.

10-4 Have Flicked Breaker On / Off a Number of Times.. As I said there is No Resistence either direction as in doesn't Click into Position.. Open Concept , Kitchen / Livingroom.. Kitchen side , 1 wall a Wall Plug either side of the Sink.. Other Wall a Plug on either side where the Stove Top Incert used to be.. Those Two Plugs are connected to the Blown Breaker, Fridge is along the same wall with it's own plug, didn't interfere??. House was Built Mid 70's , Brand Name on the Panel is (Commander QM40200) White Wire is into the Ground Bar, Black is into the Rightside Breaker / Red is into the Leftside Breaker..

Could be a bad breaker. They do go bad sometimes.

It is a bad breaker. If it is flipping back and forth without the contact pressure it is a mechanical failure inside it. Trip one of the other ones on and off if that one has a free feel compared to the others it is 100% bad IMO.

If the old stove top was electric, maybe; but otherwise why a 2-pole for outlets? Does it split to 110 someplace downstream?

The kitchen outlets are split, all the tops on one circuit and the bottoms on the other, with the idea, you could use the toaster and mixer at the same time in the same outlet.

If I'm following correctly, you have a 2-pole 15 amp breaker that has tripped and will not reset or is turn off and will not turn on.
This breaker is feeding outlets, lights or both.
If this is the case, then the 2-pole breaker will need to be replaced with (2) 1-pole breakers in its place.

If the old stove top was electric, maybe; but otherwise why a 2-pole for outlets? Does it split to 110 someplace downstream?

Split wired 15 amp receptacles are a code option in Ontario kitchens. Until about 2000 when 20 amps became allowed they were the only option for kitchen counter receptacles.

I think what he has is a multi-wire branch circuit.

:). As mentioned previous the House was Built / Wired Mid 70's the Panel & Existing Breakers were Mfg. by Commander at that time, which is now part of Eaton... The Blown Breaker is a 2 pole BQL 15 amp.... How it is Wired into the Panel, (1) Ground Wire is paired with a group of other Grounds and placed at the end of the Panel.. (2) White Wire is into the Ground Bar... (3) Black Wire is into the Rightside Breaker .. (4) Red Wire is into the Leftside Breaker... :)

A picture of this breaker would be really cool, I don't think I've ever seen one like your describing.

:). As mentioned previous the House was Built / Wired Mid 70's the Panel & Existing Breakers were Mfg. by Commander at that time, which is now part of Eaton... The Blown Breaker is a 2 pole BQL 15 amp.... How it is Wired into the Panel, (1) Ground Wire is paired with a group of other Grounds and placed at the end of the Panel.. (2) White Wire is into the Ground Bar... (3) Black Wire is into the Rightside Breaker .. (4) Red Wire is into the Leftside Breaker... :)

Good, the whole story.

While it appears that both the GFI breakers have failed, why simultaneously?

I would first unload the breakers at the panel, wait about 5min. and if they then do not reset, replace the breaker, in kind or with 2 individual.

I would then proceed to the dual gang box in the kitchen where these 2 circuits enter and open the connections, prior to energizing either breaker.

Because these both failed simultaneously, I suspect that the bond strap on one of the recep. may not have been completely separated, or if the grnds. were joined with a bond bushing and not properly stuffed into the box.

Back