220v 6.5 air compressor wiring question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenny6486

Reaction score
Manufacturer recommends 60 amp circuit breaker. This is going to be a dedicated line and the compressor will sit 25 feet away from panel. I was planning on using 8 awg wire. Is this size wire necessary or can I go down to a number 10? The big box stores sell plugs for 50 A not 60 what would happen if I used a 50 amp plug if the compressor peaked above 50amps.

Here is an ampasity chart; http://www.usawire-cable.com/pdfs/nec ampacities.pdf

Somewhere in the manual you will find the operating amperage of this appliance and you'll need to cable and disconnect as prescribed, as well as in compliance with local codes.

Seldom, if ever, are these appliances other than direct connected.

I would go with number 6 wire. I would also look for a plug and outlet rated for what the breaker size is or hard wire it in.

I ran number 6 to my hot tub sub-panel and it was a little farther but off a 50a breaker. #6 wasn’t to hard to work with.

I would highly suggest that you post the make and model number of the compressor for us to see.

Yes, many air compressors do require direct connect but some also require a "pressure switch" to be inline between the source power and the compressor. The pressure switch will cut the power to the air compressor when the pressure reaches a preset limit. If the air compressor is not wired correctly or you by pass the pressure switch the compressor will run and run and run and never shut off.

So before you go wiring anything first you need to know the "name plate" ratings of this air compressor. There should be a metal plate on the air compressor somewhere indicating amps, volts etc. If you can take a pic of the name plate that may help too. Also, getting the wiring diagram for this compressor will help us guide you better.

Also is this a new air compressor or did you buy it second hand?

We can't do guessing work here.

Last edited:
New compressor by Puma

641e46bd90d6e8644524e7a99f39cb34.jpg

8240dbbcdc139264c66b663398875a82.jpg

I have not been able to find the wiring diagram online for this model compressor (found one manual but does not specify for this model). I sent an email to PUMA requesting a link to it and the owners manual. But it does have a pressure switch as you can see.

You say it will be 25 feet from the panel but can you see the panel clearly (unobstructed) from where the compressor will sit. If not it is best to put in a disconnect between the panel and the pressure switch right where the compressor is for safety and by code if you can't see the panel clearly from the compressor. This is to ensure no one will turn the breaker on if you are working on it at the time. The disconnect can be a non-fused (but lets see what the manual may say).

Last edited:
The breaker is within view and compressor has on /off on the pressure switch. Just wanted to know what would happen if compressor peak exceeded the 50 amp outlet? ( breaker would be 60a as per recommendation) 60amp outlets are a lot more money and seem unnecessary considering 50 amp outlet rating probably wouldn't melt at say 60 amp spike. Not sure if this thinking is correct

The breaker is within view and compressor has on /off on the pressure switch. Just wanted to know what would happen if compressor peak exceeded the 50 amp outlet? ( breaker would be 60a as per recommendation) 60amp outlets are a lot more money and seem unnecessary considering 50 amp outlet rating probably wouldn't melt at say 60 amp spike. Not sure if this thinking is correct

Why are you using plug/receptacle for this compressor. Probably would be best off direct wire from panel to disconnect (next to compressor) and then to pressure switch. If you do end up using a plug/receptacle you would probably be best off with "twist" instead of "straight blade" this way the plug won't slip out of the receptacle as the plugs and cord are quite heavy.

I’m not positive if it is now code or not but we have to use a combination disconnect plug & outlet here now. The plug can not be removed unless the disconnect is in the off position. If the breaker is in eye shot I would just hardwire it for home use, unless you need to move the compressor around and plug it in different places. Just treat it like it is a fixed location. A disconnect on the wall close by would be best if you plan on turning off the power when you are not using it.

Either on the motor or in the manual should be a wiring diagram depicting each, 208V and 230V.

Last edited:
If it's only drawing 24A and needs the 60A overcurrent protection only for startup, the 50A plug and receptacle should be ok, but I would definitely run #6 wire. It's a short run so shouldn't cost too much.

Back