3 way light switch for ceiling fan/light

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamiacaveman

Reaction score
Is there a way to hard wire a ceiling fan so that the light (only) is controlled in 2 places? I want to put a ceiling fan/light in a room that has 2 entrances and would like the light on the ceiling fan to be able to be controlled at each entrance. Would it basically be like a standard 3 way light switch installation? Anything to watch out for? Do they make any special 3 way ceiling fan/light switches for this purpose?

Thanks for any help,

yamiacaveman

Welcome.

The stipulation is that the hot pair is in the ceiling box, and you can then control the light as required by code, upon entering the room.

The hot pair does not need to be in the ceiling box. If it is in one of the swich boxes you need a three wire feed to the fan so you can have an unswitched hot for the fan and a switched hot for the light.

Some times they are also wired so the fan gets it power from the light and works when the light is on only. If you don't want the fan you turn it off with the pull chain.

Normally I see this when there is already a ceiling light being converted to a fan/light combo and it is hard to run new wires thru finished walls. You just select the combination you want with the pull chains light, fan or light and fan and then control it from one or two switches if it is wired as a three way.

You can also control the fan speed and light level with the remote that most fans have nowadays.
And still use the wall switch as main power.

Thanks for the replies!
I'm not quite sure, but I think I am just going to wire the fan and then try to wire a 3 way switch in for the light.
Remote is probably the easiest but either I would spend more time looking for it or when I went to use it the batteries would be dead. Lol.
Again thanks for your help.

Back