4 Post Lift

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Has anybody on here ever installed a 4 post lift in their garage? Are you able to do front and rear suspensions? What about brakes?

The 4 post lifts are not really designed for those uses. They are nice for changing oil and fluids. They can be fitted with jack plates so you can use hydraulic bottle jacks to lift the vehicle up off of the lift while it is at a comfortable working height to change tires etc. But to try to do any serious suspension work will be difficult if not nearly impossible. It would also be less safe than if you just used jacks on the floor. A 4 post lifts main use is for expanded parking in a garage. One vehicle can be driven onto the lift, raised up out of the way and another parked underneath it.

For working on a car the best option is the 2 post lift that raises a vehicle from plates under the frame of the vehicle.

I purchased a jack made for my 4 post lift (direct lift). I will lift either the front or rear of my vehicle. I have done brakes, suspension work and brake bleeding with wheels off. It was about $500 but makes the 4 post lift much more useful. Also most lifts normally come with a jack bridge that you can use a small bottle jack as previously mentioned.

I purchased a jack made for my 4 post lift (direct lift). I will lift either the front or rear of my vehicle. I have done brakes, suspension work and brake bleeding with wheels off. It was about $500 but makes the 4 post lift much more useful. Also most lifts normally come with a jack bridge that you can use a small bottle jack as previously mentioned.

Yellowvetteman,

Can you post us up some pics of your lift in action please?

here's a picture of my 50' chevy on my lift.. i'm doing a complete drive train re-do
005-2.jpg

G SPORT

Nice Chevy there. Like your lift, too. What are your power plans?:D

I have the two post, portable low ceiling, MaxJax by Dannmar. Works great.

Jeffsliftgif5.jpg

Great pic 427HISS! The checkered flags are a nice touch!

If you have suspension work in mind I would also suggest getting a 2 post lift. Just make sure when you remove something heavy, like the rear axle, that it doesn't become front heavy and fall off the lift...

There are support stands available to prevent that from happening. :)

and bought a 4 post,
wasn't happy (after 12 yrs) with wiggly 2 post, ( rotary)
I can do anything on my 4 post that I could do on my 2 post,
PLUS, i can move my 4 post around, like outside to steam the bottom of the car, and NOT make a mess in the garage !
I use sliding tray , and bottle jack to lift my cars, and jack stands to support it,

View attachment 57 030R.jpg

If my garage were only a few feet taller.

If my garage were only a few feet taller.

.....I'd like to add for my wish list....a few feet wider, more tools, a lift, etc, etc!

You know it's my Birthday right? I want a lift!

It's been all week, you just didn't notice till now.

but didn't want to say anything about your wrinkly suit.

Latest posts

Back