70 y.o. Redwood Shiplap Siding

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomtheelder2020

Reaction score
Some of the 1" V Shiplap redwood siding on my house is in pretty bad shape but this pattern is not available from any supplier (similar but different dimensions is available). I plan to use my table saw to mill new pieces from marine plywood because redwood is more than double the cost per foot. I plan to prime and paint all surfaces. Does anyone have suggestions for other steps I can take to increase the longevity of these pieces?

Post a picture of what you have now please.
I for should would not make it out of plywood!
Main reason is where the Vee is cut it will leave all the end grains exposed.
There's no location in your profile so it would be hard for anyone to make a suggestion on where there may be a local planing mill to you that may have it, or could make it for you.

Joe, you are right. I should have thought to include a picture. The attached PDF is from "Redwood Lumber Patterns No. 17." Dimension A for my siding is 9-3/8 inches. Other dimensions are also different.

Thank you for pointing out end grain in the Vee! Yet another thing I did not think about. Still, it seems like my solution of using a low-viscosity wood hardener that will penetrate should work pretty well. Smearing bondo on the edges and Vees after using the hardner should help too.

Is there something other than redwood you recommend as an alternative to the plywood?

Attachments

• V Shiplap.pdf
    62.7 KB · Views: 3
Back