ACCEPTABLE SIZE FOR A BATHROOM SINK DRAIN PIPE

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsteinhorn

Reaction score
Due to space limitations and needing to cross a joist near its end, I want to use a 1-1/4" ABS drain pipe for a simple bathroom sink drain pipe. There is no toilet or shower connected to this drain. I know that 1-1/2" ABS is typically used. Because there will be no solids like from a kitchen sink, is there any reason that 1-1/4" is not acceptable for this application? I want to take out as little of the joist as possible and recognize that piercing it near the end minimizes the loss of structural integrity.
Thanks for your thoughts.

The 1st 12" of a framing member are not recommended for penetration, so you should drill in the center 1/3rd of the width of the member, more than 12" from the end.

Could you scab on some 2x10 maybe 4' long, on each side of the joist prior to drilling through it to give some strength.

1 1/4 pipe for a lavatory sink is fine according to the plumbing code. the reason we use 1 1/2 pipe is that it is cheaper.

1 1/4 pipe for a lavatory sink is fine according to the plumbing code. the reason we use 1 1/2 pipe is that it is cheaper.
I am having trouble finding 1-1/4" ABS here. Can I use use rubber "no hub" connectors 1-1/2" to 1-1/4" and splice in a piece of1 1-1/4" PVC? I know it's like Rube Goldberg, but structurally it should be sufficient.

they have it at real plumbing store . or can order it .

Back