Acetone and Automatic Tranny Fluid Really Does Eat Rust

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

driz

Reaction score
ive used it for tears with great success on cars but never waited to see if it actually dissolved rust. It always worked breaking nuts loose in short order. The really nasty roads salted ones on his suspension arms and such I like to start spraying a week early .
This time I had a toilet that needed tightening slightly And the steel downs were a solid mass of rust but I didn’t wanna break them. So I decided to try just dribbling some ATF/Acetone on top every day for a week. I must say I was amazed. All that brown and purple goo that ran down was all the rust. In the end The bolts were in like new condition with a few Pits minus the plating which is good enough for me. I know this stuff work as penetrating oil but it works far better than I even dreamed. I think I’m going to try soaking nasty parts in that stuff next time the need arises.
If he use it don’t forget to shake it before you spray it. Also for whatever reason it doesn’t seem to affect the sprayer bottle even if it’s an old recycled household cleaner sprayer. They still last for many years.

Back