Acquiring and wiring a light sensor switch

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinny186

Reaction score
I've decided to add an LED strip light to my staircase on top of the wall stringer. I'd like it to light up with a light sensor switch. I'm going to tap into a nearby light that happens to be in the ceiling below the stairs. This light has a neutral and hot wire. I want the led's to operate independently of the ceiling light so whether it's on or off I still want the led's to be able to light up based on the amount of ambient light.

1. How would I wire this and can anyone recommend a light sensor switch?

Thanks!

I figured out the wiring but would still like a recommendation on the sensor. Everything I'm finding says it's for outdoors and black in color but I need white.

I'm going to tap into a nearby light that happens to be in the ceiling below the stairs. This light has a neutral and hot wire.

Not sure of your skill level so want to clarify a few things you stated.
You say tap into the nearby light. Do you mean at the light fixture or at the switch for this light.
Also you state there is a neutral. If you are referring to tapping into the switch have you verified that there is a neutral with a meter or just because there is a white wire in the box. If you are tapping into the light fixture box is power originating from the light fixture box. If it is originating from the switch box then it won't operate the way you want as the fixture box will only have power when the switch is on.

I think you may have to clarify a bit more. Let us know if you are tapping into the light fixture box or switch box and let us know what wires are in there. Let us know where the power originates from. Doing this will allow us to better assist you.

My original idea to wire the led lights has changed. I've decided to use a nearby outlet which will make the job a bit easier due to it having constant power.
Ive used Led's before but always plugged them into an outlet. Because they're low voltage, how would I wire them to an existing outlet without using a plug? I'm guessing I would install an electrical box next to the existing outlet but how do I go about making the connection from the existing voltage to the low voltage?

Can someone tell me if I have the order right for this wiring project. I've decided to go with an in-wall light timer to operate a 15 foot strip of LED lights.
I'm going to use the existing power from a nearby outlet.
Is this order correct: Attach timer to outlet, also connect 12v power supply to outlet, connect LED strip to 12v power supply?
Finally, can I mount the timer next to the outlet or does it have to be mounted at the height of a light switch?

Back