Adding a spiral staircase leading to an attic?

Discussion in 'General Home Improvement Discussion' started by HomeRepairMike, May 5, 2011.

1. May 5, 2011 #1

HomeRepairMike

HomeRepairMike

HomeRepairMike

I want to make an attic space usable so part of my idea is to add a spiral staircase that does not take lots of space and put it into a closet where there is currently a ladder leading to the attic. Anyone have any idea how expensive these are? Where do I even look to purchase one of these?

Thanks.

2. May 6, 2011 #2

nealtw

nealtw

nealtw

Contractor retired

3. May 6, 2011 #3

HomeRepairMike

HomeRepairMike

HomeRepairMike

Thanks for the link!

4. May 6, 2011 #4

joecaption

joecaption

joecaption

And just who do you plan on getting any up into the attic with a spiral stair?
    There fine for just people to go up them but impossible to move furniture up or down.
    There's dozens of companys that can premake spiral stairs just Google spiral stairs.

5. May 7, 2011 #5

AndyGump

AndyGump

AndyGump

Drawer of Homes

I might suggest an alternative to the spiral staircase, an alternating tread staircase.

It is usually wider that any ladder, is to to code and doesn't take a lot of room.

Andy.

6. May 12, 2011 #6

sjson

sjson

sjson

What will you be using the attic space for? As mentioned by joecaption, I can't imagine you moving any large heavy items into the attic. It will be near to impossible. Before you decide to use your attic space, make sure to check for any roof leaks, floor and roof framing, and climate.

7. May 13, 2011 #7

nealtw

nealtw

nealtw

Contractor retired

I think the pull down ladder is a better choice, the smallist spiral uses about 4ftx 4ft and you have to cut that size hole in the ceiling or worse ,trusses. Never mind how much weight you are not supposed to put in the attic.