Adding An Outlet To A Half Hot Outlet

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashtonallen

Reaction score
I want to hang my tv on my wall and need to install an outlet behind the tv. The only outlet close enough to use as the source outlet is a half hot, switched outlet. Can someone please provide a wiring diagram?

The outlet is a normal outlet but with the little jumper strip broken off making it into two outlets. You will have wires coming to it from a switch and you will also have a constant voltage going to the other half.

Once you run your new wire to the split outlet you will want to tap into the constant voltage side to power your TV.

It is not proper to connect two wires under one screw head so you will have to use some short pieces of wire to make what they call a pig tail and then connect the pig tail to the hot wire and the new wire with a wire nut. The other end of the pig tail goes back to the gold screw on the always on half of the switch. Repeat with the white wires and the green bare copper ground wire.

So the bottom of the outlet has the constant power. To make sure I understand:
1. Unscrew the bottom white, bottom black, and ground
2. Cut a piece of new white wire and strip both ends
3. Wire nut together, the old bottom white wire, new white from New Romex, and one end of white that is stripped at both ends
4. Connect the other end of the spliced white to the bottom silver screw
5. Cut a piece of new black wire and strip both ends
6. Wire nut together, the old bottom black wire, the new black wire from romex, and one end of the spliced piece of black
7. Connect the other end of the spliced black section to the bottom brass screw
8. Cut a segment of ground and strip both ends
9. Wire nut the old ground, new ground from romex, and one end of piece of ground.
6 Connect the other free end of the sliced piece of ground to the green screw

Sounds like a good plan, of course cut the power off before you start.

I’m not a pro but some pros will be along and may offer additional thoughts.

Instead of pigtailing the white, simply save yourself the time and connect the white from the new romex to the other silver screw on the recep. you are powering from.

Twist the pigtailed conductors together before installing the wire nut.

Instead of pigtailing the white, simply save yourself the time and connect the white from the new romex to the other silver screw on the recep. you are powering from.

Twist the pigtailed conductors together before installing the wire nut.

I have done them both ways using the unused screws and also the pig tail method for both split and un-split outlets. I personally have switched over to always doing the pig tails now as it makes it simpler down the road I think when the outlet goes bad for someone to figure out what is going on and also easier to change it out.

Both methods work and depending on the size of the box if it is a smaller box and not a lot of room in the back for an extra pigtail and wire nut I would do it as you suggested.

Using the second screw would be my preferred choice if it is not already used.
Only one wire per screw is permitted.

I like pigtails because when or if the outlet fails, it is by itself and does not require a big search to find the bad one.

I have done them both ways using the unused screws and also the pig tail method for both split and un-split outlets. I personally have switched over to always doing the pig tails now as it makes it simpler down the road I think when the outlet goes bad for someone to figure out what is going on and also easier to change it out.

Both methods work and depending on the size of the box if it is a smaller box and not a lot of room in the back for an extra pigtail and wire nut I would do it as you suggested.

I would absolutely use the pigtail method were there an indication of downstream devices.

I Canada wire nuts count for box fill, so it is not always a good idea. You might need a bigger box.

Latest posts

Back