Additional piece of Trim Recommendations

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxHomeowner

Reaction score
We are remodeling our enclosed stairway. The new tread will be Armstrong Hickory - Grand Canyon Sunset 5 in. Engineered Hardwood Wide Plank flooring. The Armstrong provided stair nose is an exact match to the flooring but is smaller than a conventional stair nose. Btw, the risers are white. We want to add a piece of trim under the nose to improve its appearance and demenisional scale.

After viewing the attached image please suggest a trim shape that you think will achieve our goal.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
I know smaller, narrower and thinner are precise measurements but I still can't visualize it:)

So the picture in post #1 is not your stairway? And you mention that the supplied nose is small - suggesting that you want something bigger. i agree that a bigger nose (beefier) is stronger. But I don't know exactly what you are trying to accomplish.....

I apologize. Here is a profile of the nose. Maybe that will help.

Yup that is a picture of nose. set a piece on the table and set a piece of flooring behind it and take picture of the end so we can see what the exact problem is.

So the picture in post #1 is not your stairway? And you mention that the supplied nose is small - suggesting that you want something bigger. i agree that a bigger nose (beefier) is stronger. But I don't know exactly what you are trying to accomplish.....
I think my post was not well written. The first image was supplied by Armstrong. My stairs will look like that with two minor exceptions. 1.) The engineered wood to be used on our stairs is darker. 2.) The rise on our stairs is white. Other than that the shape is exactly like ours will be. I want to put an additional piece of trim under the nose. Hopefully, the added trim beef up the look of the nose. The added trim will be the same stain as the nose and tread. Thanks for the help.

I think if your risers came up full height to fill that notch, you would have a stronger nose. As for a trim piece to fit under the nose, anything that doesn't stand proud and doesn't reach down very far should do the trick....maybe something as simple as a small shoe molding. It's really an aesthetic choice and my best advice is to walk into a big box store and look at the trim available. If they sell by the foot, bring home a foot of each of the best candidates and see how it fits.

I think my post was not well written. The first image was supplied by Armstrong. My stairs will look like that with two minor exceptions. 1.) The engineered wood to be used on our stairs is darker. 2.) The rise on our stairs is white. Other than that the shape is exactly like ours will be. I want to put an additional piece of trim under the nose. Hopefully, the added trim beef up the look of the nose. The added trim will be the same stain as the nose and tread. Thanks for the help.

Now I understand in less than 1000 words.
Depending on how much it sticks out before you get to the round over shape of the nose.
There are many shapes like corner cove or round or odgee. But I have never seen it done. The nose is usually all you do.

I have ordered 1 section each of 3/8x3/8 cove and shoe moulding from HD. Luckily, no shipping charges for ship to store. This new trim along with 36" sections of on hand trim will be quickly stained to approximate the step nose. Having set up a test area each trim piece will be placed under the step nose. I plan to photograph each setup then post them for you to review. Your comments gave me this idea.

I'll be back as soon as possible.

You could use a small cove or quarter round. If you want them to match you will need to see what the flooring company sells in that matching finish. Or you could do what I did and buy trim unfinished and match the stain and poly finish. Trim from flooring companies is way over priced IMO.

Looks great. I took a piece to my local paint store along with my flooring and dropped it offto get a matching stain and poly. The next day I went back and the length was stained every 2-3 inches and the last sample was a dead on match. No extra charge they said no that’s what we do here. Find a good shop and get a perfect match and it will fit in perfect.

Latest posts

Back