Advice on Framing Nail Gun

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfurman

Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone has advice on the style of framing nail gun to buy.
I just need it to build a shed, and a few projects around the house, maybe a tree house in the future, not everyday use.

I don't want to spend a lot of money so I went to Harbor Freight and they have two styles, and I’m not sure if it matters which I buy.

Looking at 21 degree round head, vs. a 30 – 34 degree full or clipped head nailer. I realize this is the type of nail it uses, but is there an advantage to one over the other? Also, I will want to use galvanized nails for some of the shed project for siding and trim.

upload_2018-8-2_8-36-47.jpg upload_2018-8-2_8-38-2.jpg
Thanks

Stick with the 21º round head style. You also have to know if the gun uses wire collated nails or plastic collated, so you can buy the correct nails.

As a DIYer and not a pro I have been getting along great for years with deck screws and a drill. (Cons) Cost more for screws than nails and takes a bit longer to get them in. (Pros) they come out as easy as they go in and you don’t need a compressor and hoses and all that.

There is a lot of debate on strength but all the tests I have done make me favor Deck Screws or similar. I’m not talking about large drywall screws.

As to nail guns when my nephew and I built his house he bought a gun that runs on a fuel canister. No hoses and it worked really well.

Back