advice on textured walls

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikejurasw

Reaction score
Hello, I have a finished third floor which I use as a home office and it's time to repaint. The problem is that it was textured heavily in random wavy style (sometimes a 1/4 deep in places), partly to mask some defects in the underlying plaster. The home is vintage 1920's, so lath and plaster....and lots of it. Texture covers angled ceiling as well.

My options as I see them are:
  • Paint with a light colored flat sheen to hide texture and just live with it?
  • Chip down the high spots and skim coat?
  • Cover it all with 1/4 drywall and never look back?
Any input will be appreciated!

Thanks,

M. Miller

Interestingly, flat and sheen, are not relatable, in that flat paint, has no shine, however as you transition through the paint finishes, matte too high-gloss, their sheen changes, are obvious.

Flat paint is, generally, in residential application, considered a dirt magnet.

While matte, has a barely discernible slight shine, and is easier to clean.

Were it I, I would mask off and spray with a low-sheen, which is also easier to clean and also enhances the light presence in the space.

Thanks, Snoobyb. Yeah, I agree about the flat paint: 'dirt magnet' and it seems to get chalky rather quickly.

Ok on that. It sounds like you'd leave the texture rather than wrestling with it?

I have done all three. For me it is work vs reward. and as I get older if it is an area that no one but me sees I go the easy route. When we did our main floor when we bought the house it was really BAD. Circa 1880 horse hair plaster falling apart with 10 layers of wall paper holding it up. I patched all the plaster and gave it a new plaster look on the walls because of trim etc building out with drywall would change a lot of stuff. when it came to the ceilings and working overhead .5" drywall went up right over the old paper. one advantage was i was doing some rewiring and then poking holes in the ceiling didn't have to be fixed.

Yes, because, you never know when an entrepreneurial artistic express may overcome you, and with paint and sponge in hand.....................

Yes, because, you never know when an entrepreneurial artistic express may overcome you, and with paint and sponge in hand.....................
Now a day when the artistic expression strikes I get another cup of coffee and let it quickly fade.

Which the temp at 28, a hose wash-off adds another dimension.

I remember in the 1960's it was the trendy rage to have your walls smoothed to remove the texture that was put in the plaster when floated in the 1920's.
Perhaps there are still companies that do that & will give you a reasonable price to smooth your texture.

Also, some textured ceilings and walls are a coating that was applied with an upside-down looking hand operated fertilizer spreader type of gizmo. There are solutions you can spray on those to soften it for scraping off. One of my brothers did it and said it was quick and easy. Maybe you will get lucky and have the Easy-To-Remove type.

Paul
PS: 1/4" drywall that you mentioned probably isn't a good idea for the ceiling, even angled. It could sag between rafters. But, I'm no expert. Someone here will know more. (Maybe 100% glue coverage to the existing is OK(?))

I agree about the 1/4 inch drywall. Plus it means re-jiggering all the mouldings and a ton of taping. That one's off the table.

Back