Quantcast

Air Compressor for Garage

Help Support House Repair Talk:

oldognewtrick

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Couple months ago I changed the belt on the compressor. The new belt was tight, I've had an issue with the compressor failing to start. Today I loosened the motor bolts, released tension a bit and now it starts and runs like it use to. I thought the capacitor was going, but belt tension seemed to cure it...at least for now.

bud16415

Fixer Upper
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Couple months ago I changed the belt on the compressor. The new belt was tight, I've had an issue with the compressor failing to start. Today I loosened the motor bolts, released tension a bit and now it starts and runs like it use to. I thought the capacitor was going, but belt tension seemed to cure it...at least for now.
I thought the same thing so I took the belt off and all I get is a buzz out of the motor and it will trip the breaker after a couple seconds. Motor turns free and I tried spinning it and putting power to it and it wanted to run a little, very slow. I will check out the cap or just take it to our local motor guy and have him test it. The farmers use this guy a lot for all the pump motors on the dairy equipment. If it is bad he might have something used or rebuilt.

thebuilder20

Reaction score
I am not a compressor expert, but I buy and sell a lot of tools, and I will tell you I see TONS of huskys with problems. I wouldn't take a husky if you gave it to me.

Get a craftsman if you can.

WyrTwister

Reaction score
What kind of problems ? Problems that a DIY'er can repair ? Cheap or expensive ?

How are the Chi-Com compressors ? Good , bad or a mixed bag ?

Wyr
God bless

thebuilder20

Reaction score
I currently have a Husky air compressor that starts filling and then shuts off. I have to unplug it and wait about 5 min and then plug it back in and it will start filling again for about 5 min, then shut off again. I have to keep doing this over and over again.

WyrTwister

Reaction score
First , is the air pressure switch shutting it off ?

Second , check the amperage . Is it shutting off on overload / thermal cut out ?

Wyr
God bless

WyrTwister

Reaction score
I thought the same thing so I took the belt off and all I get is a buzz out of the motor and it will trip the breaker after a couple seconds. Motor turns free and I tried spinning it and putting power to it and it wanted to run a little, very slow. I will check out the cap or just take it to our local motor guy and have him test it. The farmers use this guy a lot for all the pump motors on the dairy equipment. If it is bad he might have something used or rebuilt.
Check the capacitor .

Wyr
God bless

havasu

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah, that darn flux capacitor.... again?