Asbestos in basement

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian61478

Reaction score
When I had my home inspection the inspector noted there was an asbestos type material on the heating ducts in the basement. We hoped the FHA appraisal would notice it and by that point have the owner remove it. Nothing was mentioned about it so was never taken care of. I was looking at the ducts more today and noticed it was not running the whole length of the ducts. Can anyone tell by these pictures if indeed this is asbestos.

Thanks,
Ian

1410387506020.jpg

1410387519909.jpg

1410387534302.jpg

Yes that's asbestos. Very common and not a problem unless you disturb it. I had it in my old place and I used latex paint back then to seal the fibers in. You didn't paint it as much as pour the paint on and brush it just to get it soaked in. That was pretty common 30 years ago. Now I'm sure they call in a crew to remove it.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

I figured it was. I guess I was a little surprised that it does not cover the whole ductwork. This spring having it removed. Thanks

My parent's house had asbestos like this covering the exposed pipes in the basement. it was no big deal until i got old enough to play unsupervised down there. I hung a bag from the pipes and started punching it (This was before Rocky, and i wouldn't have been able to get a side of beef anyway). My dad put a quick end to my budding boxing career.

No advice here, just a remembrance.

I figured it was. I guess I was a little surprised that it does not cover the whole ductwork. This spring having it removed. Thanks

I have never quite figured out why they put it where they did. Most of the time you see it on the joints about a foot wide and where the pipe gets close to structure. Inside the walls here the duct runs to the second floor they quite often put it between the duct and the plaster.

This spring having it removed.

After you get the estimate and regain consciousness after seeing the price, you might want to consider encapsulating it yourself by flowing/brushing on some Gardz or latex sanding sealer. You can then easily paint over that. Wear a dust mask. BTDT.
FWIW
YMMV

Back