basement bathroom ideas

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikejurasw

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm hoping to renovate an old basement bathroom (flange in the floor, filled with concrete some years ago), expanding and moving it a little. Before I rent a jackhammer, can anyone help with a few questions:

1) I'd like to locate the new toilet within 3 or so feet of the soil stack. Can I position the new flange directly over the horizontal branch from that stack to the home's main sewer line? It would be a vertical drop of maybe 2 feet into some combo of 45-degree street elbow and a new T/Y and then out-she-goes!

2) Does the vertical soil stack count as this toilet's vent? (The fixture will be downstream of the stack.)

3) If I want to add a lavatory, and vent it with an air admittance valve (ok in Ohio...), does it matter whether the lav drain enters the main line before or after the toilet?

Thanks!
MM

You'll need to vent the WC waste, other than, the existing vent, because of the volume, of the instantaneous introduction initiated by the flush.

I have two toilets and two tubs sharing a single vent. The vent is centered between between the toilets. The soil pipe and all connections are under the slab so I can't be sure where the tub drains connect w/respect to the vent but it has to be between the first toilet and the vent. The toilets are about five feet apart and the vent seems to be centered.

Last edited:
Back