Basement Ceiling Insulation - Remove or Replace?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stmarshall3017

Reaction score
The previous owners of my home had installed fiberglass insulation in the (unfinished) basement ceiling between the floor joists. I assume they did this for heat purposes. The insulation is old, dirty and crappy looking at this point. I am working on an effort to reduce dampness and the presence and smell of mold/mildew in the basement and am wondering if I should remove or replace this ceiling insulation. My concern is that the old insulation has absorbed moisture and is probably home to some mold & mildew.

I will be taking additional steps to reduce moisture, including adding a dehumidifier that drains into the sump pit (set it at 50% humidity), and I'll probably add a fan or air purifier that I'll keep constantly running. Will also cover my sump pit so that the water in the pit isn't open to the air in the room. Any feedback or other ideas?

My primary question for the forum is - should I replace the ceiling insulation w/ new fiberglass insulation or should I just leave it out? If I leave it out, should I expect to notice a difference in moisture or heating/cooling loss from the main floor above?

Thanks in advance-

Is the basement conditioned?

Thanks for the reply. There is no heat or AC in the basement, no. The only thing that I currently have down there is a dehumidifier that drains into the sump pit. It's set at 55% humidity. It definitely helps to keep the humidity under control but I'm thinking that I need to do more to make it more comfortable and less mildewy.

The insulation will neither aid, or detract from the comfort level, however adding heat will both aid the humidity as well as the floor above.

As is, the insulation only marginally affects the temperature of the floor and that as well, is affected by the floor covering.

Thanks - so in your opinion, replacing or removing the insulation will provide me no benefit in terms of controlling my humidity or air quality. I will stick with my dehumidifier setup and am planning on purchasing a HEPA air purifier as well to keep the mold & mildew presence and smell under control.

Were it I, I would invest in a moisture meter being so concerned with moisture in the insulation, rather than discount it.

you can put new insulation over old insulation unless it is wet. Any new insulation installed over existing insulation in the attic needs to be without a vapor retarder. The vapor retarder on top of or between layers or insulation can trap moisture.

Insulated floor and no heat in the basement, that is an 8 ft high crawl space and would do better vented.

Back