Basement Laundryroom cabinetry

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kerrylib

Reaction score
I am gearing up to do some rework in our laundry room. It is approx 11 x 11 ft w/ built-in cabinets across one wall, w/ a countertop across the adjoining wall. The biggest issue is the cabinets are constructed as just doorframes over shelving, so the backside is open to the cement basement wall, and open at the top to the exposed joists. Due to settling, etc. there is obviously some air infiltration along the sill someplace behind these cabinets. Last winter I tried getting up in there with a couple cans of spray foam with little success.

I am thinking that I want to remove the cabinets and countertop, then flip the layout. (While I have things opened up, I'll see what I can do about sealing the draft/open barn door)

For maximizing storage, it seems that Euro style frameless cabinets are probably the best bet, and for the laundry room I like white melamine for looks.

I want to find a good functional cabinet and not concerned that it has a honey expresso glaze on a tuscan villa style hand carved inlayed door front with oiled bronze hinges.

I've looked at the RTA cabinets at the box stores and they are actually more expensive than some of the stock cabinets they have. If that is the case across the board, I'll go that route and save the assembly, however negotiating the stairs into the basement will have to be taken into consideration.

If I could find a decent set for the right price I'm even open to shopping the Habitat for Humanity store. Actually like that option best, but I haven't managed to see anything that matches my needs.

Does anyone know of a good source to start looking at cabinetry to start making a package and price out a project like this. So far my searches have come up with custom or semi-custom cabinet shops touting all the hardwoods w/ different door styles and stains/glaze finishes.

You want to buy a premade cabinet is what I'm hearing. Just go with the box store cheapos, and modify anything you may want different.
I make all my own single box cabinets to each size I need, screw them together and use www.maplecraftusa.com for the doors.They also sell the whole cabinets like you asked.
I buy sheets of 3/4 plywood or melamine for the sides and half inch for the backs. Some wood screws and putty and send out the measurements for the doors, or make your own doors out of plywood and some iron on edgebanding for the edges.
The options for building them yourself are the best, custom fits always work best.:D
I like the habitat route also, or look on craigslist or post an add in the wanted on craigslist, but be careful of who you respond to.

Around here are several places that sell cheap cabinets. Also have an auction place nearby. I don't have specifics for CO but ask around. RTA can be expensive. Building them yourself is cool but more expensive than RTA and a lot more work.

Lowes and Home Depot have some ready to finish carcasses that are pretty cheap. A little paint and you will be good to go.

Have you checked out IKEA? They have a lot of Euro styled cabinets at reasonable prices.

Back