Basement watchdog

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jdeal1

Reaction score
Anyone familiar with this battery back up sump pump. It’s the special connect version.
It was installed on my basement finishing job, it says to rest the system regularly how would I do that? Unplug the main and pour water in the pit to see what happens?
Also does this product alert you to the back up pump running wether it be from a main pump fail or a power fail and it runs?

Unplugging the main & the batt. for at least 15 seconds will probably reset almost anything.

Depending if you have a floor drain, filling the sump & checking with both main power & battery once/month should be adequate. A half inch of water in our basement will ruin very few things.
Some of these have built in diagnostics but testing it in actual combat can't hurt.

4" of rain per hour is exceptional where we are. After 24 hrs our sump then had two inches of water, but mostly it's bone dry.
I recommend checking your sump after events like this. It may lead you to readjust the float switch.
Your CityData may give rainfall data for your area, 10 year max rainfall, 50 year max, etc..

IDK that we ever needed this gadget.
For us 1"/week is normal. For the moment.

Last edited:
Back