Bathroom - Sanded Caulk Cracking

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Msupsic

Marc S.
Reaction score
Last year we had our bathroom redone. At first I was happy with the finished job, but after a year of use, certain areas of the project are starting to show some signs of premature wear and tear. I'm wondering if it's the product (sanded caulk) or was it shoddy work by the contractor?

As you can see in the photos, there are a few areas where the caulk appears to be drying up and shrinking, or for some reason, cracking and pulling away from the tub edge.

Also note, the cracking caulk around the faucet head. Is it standard practice to put a bead of caulk around fixtures like this? He did this throughout the bathroom, even around the toilet paper holder and towel racks.

Zlep7AzWYymNcFN0WGvIwqKacbOJXg4SgvCjBs4DH5Tzgj2RFNVPeCC8-N7adrF86saPBzchkt8gB3Zy7kTyUn3tDC6yYyV.jpeg

4GtlI1zzMOcRNg3LR4QczhTZIc1oQkMi7HgjJqkBQ7GKxe_-FrayojxkFXhqTeTBOp7EUhzxSEsahraogKbp5ZztZMq3T7r5.jpg

nRVXNTcoC_pvdQWNwM-M1wuffABfArXPYCul_1A8d0GhDO5O-rckEQlAeVsFP0YSYYbeRcwvRlUDTSKBQqGE59_U6njJbiS2.jpg

Call the company that installed it and ask if they could help you out. Worse they can say is good bye.

I guess that's what I'm debating. It's been a year since this was done. Am I still within my right to call him up and ask him to fix it, or is this one of those things that "just happens?"

Look at your proposal for the work that was done and see what and if there is any warranty. I'd call regardless. If I had a customer with an issue, I'd want to do what I could to make them happy. Even after a warranty period.

I'll have to look at the contract, but I do remember he verbally told me he guarantees all of his work.

When they say I warranty my work, it will come in writing with what ever time limit and stipulations apply.
A guarantee is usually of the 30, 30 type. 30 ft or 30 seconds.

When they say I warranty my work, it will come in writing with what ever time limit and stipulations apply.
A guarantee is usually of the 30, 30 type. 30 ft or 30 seconds.
Is that like a tail light warranty. Warranty expires when my tail lights are out of sight.

Is there any movement in the faucet that you can see or feel? It's not too unusual for caulk to crack like that, but not this soon. BTW, is that one big ugly hunk of caulk in that vertical corner?
You said "sanded caulk", could you have meant sanded grout?

Back