Best Way to Bring Electrical Into Cabinet

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harborremodel

Reaction score
I’m installing some cabinets that are set away from the wall about 6” to allow for a little extra counter depth. I need to bring electrical from an existing box behind the cabinet out to the back wall of the cabinet to power the disposal and hot water tap. My plan was to run a cover plate on the existing box that accepts an NM clamp and run some 12-2 (existing circuit is 20amp) over to a box mounted flush on the back of the cabinet. Is this the correct way or is there another proper way? The area behind the cabinet is inaccessible once the counters go on. Thanks for any help!

Just leave the back off of the cabinet, and install two duplex recep. in the existing box so that you can plug your appliances in.

Yeah thought about that but I just love a clean uniform look under the sink. Are there are any code issues with bringing the 12-2 into a box mounted flush in the cabinet? If it’s inaccessible does the insulated NM meet standards?

I’m installing some cabinets that are set away from the wall about 6” to allow for a little extra counter depth. I need to bring electrical from an existing box behind the cabinet out to the back wall of the cabinet to power the disposal and hot water tap. My plan was to run a cover plate on the existing box that accepts an NM clamp and run some 12-2 (existing circuit is 20amp) over to a box mounted flush on the back of the cabinet. Is this the correct way or is there another proper way? The area behind the cabinet is inaccessible once the counters go on. Thanks for any help!
The issue of that box being inaccessible later is a concern as well as a code violation. Murphy’s law states that if there is ever going to be an issue you can be it’s going to be in that ( buried) junction box. Open the wall an get those wires free to come forward into a box at the new cabinet.

I would make an access hole where the J-box is in the back of the new units. Maybe 12”x12” hole and frame around it the 6” to the back wall. It will look clean and if your cords are long enough leave the outlets where they are.

If opening the wall is not an issue do as @OldSparky8 suggests. Most likely the job is done by now but if you are like me maybe not.

In that case welcome to the forum OldSparky8.

Back