Bifold door won't stay closed.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It might be easier to do with a saw.
You can also get there by putting a space between the doors when you put the hinges on. 1/16"

Brian, you can TRIM the edge at an angle with the block plane as long as you don't need to make the door any narrower. When using the plane, just hold it at a slight angle to get the bevel and plane the full length of the edge. Just remember that the bevel has to be away from the hinge pin side.
Okay, thank you. I understand that I have to cut the closing side (the opposite of the hinge pin side) so that it closes 2 degrees more than the flat 180 degree .

It might be easier to do with a saw.
You can also get there by putting a space between the doors when you put the hinges on. 1/16"
My table saw is a basic one, so using the saw to cut the edge of the other side of hinge pin won't be easy.
Would it help to make the hinge pin side opening wider by leaving a bigger space between the hinge pin and the door edge.
In other words, instead of making the opposite side of the hinge pin narrower by cutting the edge, would it have the same effect to make the hinge pin side opening wider by leaving a 1/16" space between the edge and hinge pin?

You would remove hardware before cutting. Yes a space between the doors should work just use a spacer and use the same spacer for all the hinges.
If you have screw holes already they will give you trouble, you may want to move the hinge just a little so you make new holes.

Back