Bleach Solution Strength for Cleaning Up Black Water

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rumi

I think I can...
Reaction score
Our house main sewer drain clogged and I had to have it snaked out today.
Before that could happen we emptied seven 5-gal. buckets of sewage water out of the 4 in. main pipes in the basement. (possibly black water)
I carried them across the basement floor in that process, tracking as I went. I have a big mess to clean now.

It also turned out that one of the 2" cast iron pipes leaked at a joint and sprayed horribly over things on some shelves underneath.
I have to get busy cleaning, disinfecting with a pump sprayer and wondering if there's any professionals here to tell me if I need to increase the bleach percentage above the basic disinfecting level of 1/3 cup per gallon of water for this kind of cleanup.

I'm not finding anywhere that suggests more than 1/3c per gallon. When we were doing volunteer work after Katrina we used that concentration with a teaspoon or so of Dawn dish detergent in the mixture. The dish detergent acts as a surfactant and helps the bleach solution to "stick" to the vertical surfaces longer. Ventilate the area well, especially if you increase the concentration. Make sure if you add something that it doesn't have any ammonia in it. Bad combination. The CDC guidelines linked below are more about handling normal disinfecting.

CDC guidelines

Thanks Sparky, yes I've been to the CDC site and found the same chart as you probably. The chart I saw there gives a breakdown even of the different strengths of bleach available and how much per each solution.
Nothing went over the 1/3 cup.
Sharing your experience with Katrina is helpful information.
I appreciate your help.

I have a brother in the carpet cleaning/ flood remediation business who says raw sewage is extremely dangerous and uses as high as a 50/50 concentration with a respirator and the rest of the PPE needed.

I wore heavy rubber gloves, knee high rubber boots, safety glasses with solid side shields and a basic Covid-type mask to catch any air-born spray particles from the pump sprayer.

I ran across several sites that talked of using a 1:10 ratio.
I went with two cups of 8.25% added to 1 gallon of water. Potent and easy to measure. That's a 1:8 ratio. One gallon equals 16 cups.

Now this was on basement concrete, no wood, etc.
After two days I will mop the floor to get rid of the bleach.

Last edited:
Maybe due to all the plumbing I do, but I use paper towels.

I guess it all depends on how much raw sewage you are talking about. If you just spilled a bit from the 5 gal buckets, wipe it up, wearing rubber gloves, then mop with a 1/3rd cup of bleach in a gallon of water. I was also in Katrina working with the Red Cross, and our clean up kits consisted with 5 gal buckets, a mop, a pair of gloves and a gallon of bleach. The primary concern after Katrina was to inhibit the growth of mold, and bleach spray would stop it. My personal opinion that Tyvex suits, PPE's, respirators, and sanitation chambers are an overkill for a slight sewage spill, but I guess different strokes for different folks.

It was a lot more than just tracked drips. That was what covered the most of the floor and stair paths I made, but the 2 in. pipe leaks that sprayed over some utility shelves and their contents is an even bigger cleanup I'm still working on. Headed back to it now to wipe down individual bottles, etc. inside some tubs (without lids at the time) with Clorox Disinfecting Wipes.
Then the plasic shelf units themselves that got heavily sprayed.
Still a lot of work left in the unheated garage...

havasu, thanks for telling of your experience also.
Your and Sparky's posts are helping me with my response perspective should I find myself involved in something like this again.

USe Hydrogen peroxide if you can get a stronger version than 3% that is sold in store .

Works great and doesn't hard the pipes like bleach can. Some septic tank service companies should have it, they use for instant smell and black sludge reduction.

Back