Breaker trips, CGFI doesn't

Discussion in 'Electrical and Wiring' started by ajmuntz, Jul 22, 2011.

  1. Jul 22, 2011 #1

    ajmuntz

    ajmuntz

    ajmuntz

    New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2011
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    A couple of times during the past few weeks, my wife has been using the hair dryer in the bathroom when the dryer suddenly stops operating and then, maybe 5 or 10 seconds later, the circuit goes out. The bathroom is on a CGFI circuit. When I check it, the circuit breaker has tripped on the breaker panel but the reset button on the CGFI outlet has not popped out. What might be causing that? I thought the CGFI would always trip before the circuit breaker because it is more sensitive to faults.
     
  2. Jul 22, 2011 #2

    JTGP

    JTGP

    JTGP

    Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2011
    Messages:
    68
    Likes Received:
    0
    GFCI.

    Ground fault circuit interrupter.

    Is the GFCI old? Is it on a GCFI breaker? Does both plugs on the GFCI work?
     
  3. Jul 22, 2011 #3

    nealtw

    nealtw

    nealtw

    Contractor retired

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2010
    Messages:
    23,904
    Likes Received:
    3,122
    The dryer is not ground faulting, it is drawing to many amps. The fact that the dryer quits first might be a hint.
     
  4. Jul 22, 2011 #4

    ajmuntz

    ajmuntz

    ajmuntz

    New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2011
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thanks for your help!!

    GFCI ... Sorry. The GFCI outlet is about a year old. I don't know whether the circuit breaker is GFCI, but I assume it is, since it was installed by a electrician. Yes, both plugs on the GFCI outlet work.

    If the dryer is not ground faulting, does that mean the problem it with the dryer and not the electric system in the house? Is it time to pitch the hair dryer and get a new one?
     
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  5. Jul 22, 2011 #5

    kok328

    kok328

    kok328

    Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2007
    Messages:
    2,755
    Likes Received:
    249
    A non-GFI breaker is designed to trip if too many amps are ran through it.
    This over amperage can be caused by a short or to high a current.
    The GFI outlet does not trip in the even of over amperage.
    Conclusion would be that the GFI outlet is working but the hair dryer is pulling too many amps and the breaker is doing it's job.
     
  6. Jul 22, 2011 #6

    JTGP

    JTGP

    JTGP

    Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2011
    Messages:
    68
    Likes Received:
    0
    Most hair dryers come protected (AFCI). Have you seen if another hair dryer does the same thing?
     
  7. Jul 23, 2011 #7

    Blue Jay

    Blue Jay

    Blue Jay

    Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2008
    Messages:
    285
    Likes Received:
    25
    I have seen a weak breaker, try on another circuit of same rating and see what happens.
     
  8. Jul 23, 2011 #8

    ajmuntz

    ajmuntz

    ajmuntz

    New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2011
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thanks for your continued advice. The problem doesn't occur every time. While the hair dryer is used every day, the problem has only happened twice in the past two or three weeks. My wife purchased a new hair dryer today. We'll see if that solves the problem. If not, then I guess we'll know it's somewhere in the home's electric system.
     
  9. Jul 24, 2011 #9

    JTGP

    JTGP

    JTGP

    Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2011
    Messages:
    68
    Likes Received:
    0
    Could be a sensitive GFCI, I have seen to many of those!
     
  10. Jul 29, 2011 #10

    nealtw

    nealtw

    nealtw

    Contractor retired

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2010
    Messages:
    23,904
    Likes Received:
    3,122
    Check other things running on the same breaker. turn off the breaker and see what else has no power, hood fan in kitchen or?
     
  11. Aug 4, 2011 #11

    Piyush

    Piyush

    Piyush

    New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2011
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    Either put that on a different circuit...or put a switch in line so
    that you can turn it off when yer not usin' it.

    At the very least, cap it off for awhile so that you can see if it's
    really the problem.



    Have a nice Labor Day ...
     

Share This Page