Brinkman Smoker Mod

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, the 1st generation mods are done, my butts rubbed and waiting for a early morning sauna. Kinda anxious to see if I've made any improvement to the Lil El Cheapo Brinkman.

My butt went on at 3:30. Used my chimney starter for the first time and it works a LOT better than lighter fluid. Didn't take long to get the ECB up to temp. So far I'm loving the mods. A stove gasket around the lid is next on the list, for now I have aluminum foil packed in the gap. I love the smell of hardwood burning in the morning.

Well, 4 1/2 hours in to my smoke and haven't had to do anything to it. Holding 230. Just looked at the charaol pan and no ash on the grate. So far I'm really happy.

Thats awesome, it will probably save you loads in wood and consistently monitoring it.

All done, wrapped in a blanket and sitting in the cooler for a couple hours. Falling apart tender when I pulled it off and, yes I taste tested it. Turned out great. All in all I'm really pleased with the mods and I didn't get the temperature variations I did before. For a cheap lil smoker, this things is now awesome. I do believe I can get a cook on ribs without having to re-load it.

I think I want to try a brisket this weekend if the Mrs. gets over the cold she's been playing around with. I've got a receipe around here somewhere...;)

Got over ruled on the brisket last weekend, she wanted beer can chicken so we compromised and had beer can chicken. This Sunday is rib Sunday though.

Just cemented the stove gasket on the lid and this thing is done. :)

View attachment image.jpg

Think I may have to do the same mods to mine. Either that or I will build a new one from scratch.

I really want some brisket.

Nice smoker but, I couldnt help but notice the super duty in the background im sure it has a bigger engine than the baby 5.4 like I have. Wanna trade?:)

Nice smoker but, I couldnt help but notice the super duty in the background im sure it has a bigger engine than the baby 5.4 like I have. Wanna trade?:)

Thanks....uh, no trade. It's the 7.3 and I love it. I avg around 17-18, auto and 4X4.

I avg. 10 mpg with a load and 11-12 with nothin on it. I'm sure a load doesnt phase that 7.3 MPG

I've put a pallet of shingles in the back and you don't even know it's there, ride or power wise.

Went to Costco Friday nite and picked up 2 chuck roasts, thats how they're wrapped, and marinated one over nite in Italian dressing the other I rubbed down with rib rub. Saturday morning I fired my Lil ecb up at 7 and put the roasts on just before 8. Smoked them with pecan wood till they hit 160, foiled them with some ginger ale and cooked them till they reached 205, about 2:30pm. Wrapped em up in a big moving blanket, still foiled, and let them rest in a cooler till 5:30, then I sliced them like you would a regular chuck roast. My ever doubting Mrs raved about them. She was sure we'd be calling for pizza. The leftovers I diced up, and tonite we're having BBQ sandwiches. :rockin:

Sounds tasty, sounds real close to my way of smoking meat. I can't wait til I build a new smoker.

I've got a 60 and 20 gal air tanks down stairs that are going to the fab shop this week or next. Cooking ribs just isn't all that easy in my ecb. Then I'll have to learn all over again. I was going to buy a welder and do it myselt but I've been having trouble with my right eye and am worried welding wouldn't help it. I'd be pi$$ed if I couldn't see to hunt anymore.

So I am picking up in the morning the beginnings to a cool smoker project........................... . . . . .. .. . . . .. .

Hows the smoker doing? Make anything good lately?

Back