Brinkman Smoker Mod

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The smoker mods were well worth the time it took to do them. Consistant temps, 4 plus hour burn on one load of characol, better ability to control air flow and being able to keep the coals out of the ash that use to choke off the fire. For a cheap little smoker these things (with mods ) rock.

So have you been smoking lately?

Yep, little bit here and there, ribs, pork shoulder, chuck roast, brisket, loving the mods I made. Holds constant temps over 4-1/2 hours when I fire it up. Well worth the effort.

So, I put 2 nice chuck roasts on the smoker this morning with a little salt, pepper, garlic salt, onion powder and cooked them for a couple hours till they hit 160* then I put them in a foil pan, a can of beef broth, some banana peppers and covered them with aluminum foil. In about an hour into a cooler, still wrapped to sit till we get back from a funeral service. Then it's into the oven, warm up and eat with the kids.

I really love the mods I did to this lil smoker. Set it and forget it for a couple hours. Even I can handle that...:D

Do any of you have a Traeger grill? Thoughts and do you think it was worth the money if so?

From all the reviews I've read on other forums, seems like everyone loves Traegers. They may seem a little pricey, but they seem well constructed. Factor in the cost of the electrics and it looks like you get a whole lot more than you would buying a smoker from the big box stores. They are in the Green Egg price group, but you have more versatility with space in my opinion. I looked at them one day while we were at Costco and came close to pulling the trigger on one. I like the idea of setting it and not messing with it much after you start it.

I have two buddies who have traegers and both love them. I say if you are going to get one go for the more expensive unit with the electronic temp control, the cheaper ones only have low, med, high.

Hey Oldog, how is your fiberglass lid seal holding up? I used some on mine and the glue crapped out after a couple smokes.

I used stove gasket cement and it lasted about 3 uses. I don't think I got the surface clean enough before I put the caulk on. I wire wheeled it and wiped it. Next time I'll wipe it with some cleaner after I wire wheel it again.

Mine was raw metal and I cleaned the crap out of it. I used the same stuff. I think it is just junk.

Mine was raw metal and I cleaned the crap out of it. I used the same stuff. I think it is just junk.

There's a commercial supply house I use for caulking, I'll stop and see if they have a high temp caulk. If they do I'll send you a tube.

Sounds good to me, I was disappointed.

Yeah when mine was attached it was great.

Back