Bugs in wall, fall out of gap next to outlet box...

Discussion in 'Bricks, Masonry and Concrete' started by soparklion11, Sep 9, 2018.

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.
  1. Sep 9, 2018 #1

soparklion11

soparklion11

soparklion11

I own a home from ~1940. One end has a chimney and a non-functional fireplace with the damper closed and a ceramic tile secured to the top of the chimney with caulking. Dead 'potato bugs' fall out of the small gaps around the outlets on either side of the chimney breast - note that I removed the outlet covers to paint and didn't replace them yet...

My house has a brick facade over frame from the 1940s with some gaps in the mortar. The damper is closed and there is no overt moisture when I open it.

I plan to re-open the chimney and place a traditional cap to allow for ventilation. Any experience on whether that will fix my problem? Is it worth it to fill the mortar joints, or is that not likely a part of my problem?

Thank You and God Bless.

2. Sep 9, 2018 #2

oldognewtrick

oldognewtrick

oldognewtrick

Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

Can you post a pic of the mortar that's missing and some from the areas you seeing your potato bugs.

3. Sep 9, 2018 #3

soparklion11

soparklion11

soparklion11

It is raining pretty hard today, so pics will have to wait. I have standard sized bricks with 3/8" joints, but some of the vertical joints only have ~1/4" of mortar, leaving a 1/8-3/16" gap