Bugs in wall, fall out of gap next to outlet box...

Discussion in 'Bricks, Masonry and Concrete' started by soparklion11, Sep 9, 2018.

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating:

1. Sep 9, 2018 #1

soparklion11

soparklion11

soparklion11

I own a home from ~1940. One end has a chimney and a non-functional fireplace with the damper closed and a ceramic tile secured to the top of the chimney with caulking. Dead 'potato bugs' fall out of the small gaps around the outlets on either side of the chimney breast - note that I removed the outlet covers to paint and didn't replace them yet...

My house has a brick facade over frame from the 1940s with some gaps in the mortar. The damper is closed and there is no overt moisture when I open it.

I plan to re-open the chimney and place a traditional cap to allow for ventilation. Any experience on whether that will fix my problem? Is it worth it to fill the mortar joints, or is that not likely a part of my problem?

Thank You and God Bless.

2. Sep 9, 2018 #2

oldognewtrick

oldognewtrick

oldognewtrick

Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

Can you post a pic of the mortar that's missing and some from the areas you seeing your potato bugs.

3. Sep 9, 2018 #3

soparklion11

soparklion11

soparklion11

It is raining pretty hard today, so pics will have to wait. I have standard sized bricks with 3/8" joints, but some of the vertical joints only have ~1/4" of mortar, leaving a 1/8-3/16" gap