Building crawlspace doorway

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shan2themax

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's the best way to go about making a door for the crawlspace? I actually need to add several inches of dirt hear because it is lower than the other three sides.... but then it would make it near impossible to get under the house if needed. So, how do I go about it?
(I'm on light duty at work... so I cant do anything right now. I thought I'd get some opinions on some projects while I patiently wait.

Attachments

• 20180712_210430.jpg
    20180712_210430.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 19
If you are on a raised foundation with the "general" free area of 18" or greater above grade, it is typical to excavate an 18" X 18", or larger area about 18" or do deep, with gravel on the bottom for drainage, and an 18"sq. screened foundation access screen.

I am a little confused by your question. it actually sounds like two different questions. One about how to make a door, the other about changing the height of the ground around that side of the house. And the picture didn't help me much.
The door can be as simple or as elaborate as you want it to be. 3/4" pressure treated plywood with a couple of gate hinges would work fine. Pre-built composite hatchways are available.
As far as raising the dirt in that area; you would not want to bring it up to the point that water would be able to run into your crawlspace. You might have to provide drainage (as Snooby has alluded to). A lot of that has to do with the lay of the land around that area. Does it drain away from the house now?

I am a little confused by your question. it actually sounds like two different questions. One about how to make a door, the other about changing the height of the ground around that side of the house. And the picture didn't help me much.
The door can be as simple or as elaborate as you want it to be. 3/4" pressure treated plywood with a couple of gate hinges would work fine. Pre-built composite hatchways are available.
As far as raising the dirt in that area; you would not want to bring it up to the point that water would be able to run into your crawlspace. You might have to provide drainage (as Snooby has alluded to). A lot of that has to do with the lay of the land around that area. Does it drain away from the house now?

No, it does not drain away from the house there. That is the low point on that side of the house. I can measure to make a door and that sort of thing.... I mean, it's been this way since 1979 so I guess it will continue to survive. I'm just trying to be proactive and stop any problems in the future... my yard floods much much more than it used to. I dont know if we are getting more torrential downpours or what. My body is apparently falling apart so I'm trying to be proactive with things that I can potentially totally do myself to make it easier for future me financially. (Sometimes I worry about things that are silly to others, and this may be one of those things) I'll get a better picture also

Thanks neal, I'll be looking into this and have a game plan when I'm off light duty at work... hoping to do it myself. I said I'd take a better picture so I'll upload one with this post.

Attachments

• 20180715_100804.jpg
    20180715_100804.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 12
  • 20180715_100844.jpg
    20180715_100844.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 12
Thanks neal, I'll be looking into this and have a game plan when I'm off light duty at work... hoping to do it myself. I said I'd take a better picture so I'll upload one with this post.
Well.... me doing this is on hold for the time being.... maybe one of my boys will come over and let me boss them around? Lol

+1 to figuring the exterior drainage out first before you tackle the crawl space. If your exterior drainage is adequate then you probably don't have to do anything to the crawl space. Unless your unlucky enough to be too close the water table. In which case your going to have to start with drainage inside the crawlspace, then address exterior.

and like Nealtw's link a well built "cellar door" type access should help a lot. Unless you can do something fancy like connect to it in the garage or something.

Back