Can I pull 110 power from my well pump circuit?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Chris

Wondering if I can pull power from my well pump power junction box near my well? I moved my tool shed next to the well and would like to run a sprinkler timer in the shed. I have done no research on my well pump, I don't know if it is 220 or 110.

It might not be copasetic but why not. The pros will say it’s on a high amp breaker so you won’t have breaker protection for a low amp product but you could put something like a 5a fuse in there and then your plug. It most likely won’t be to code.

Or change out the junction box to a small breaker box then new breaker for the pump and a breaker for my plug?

I don't mind spending a few bucks doing this.

I think you could do that and call it a sub panel. You want a GFCI anyway you look at it out there to plug into. The GFCI wont limit current it just protects for shock. My hot tub is a 50a 220v GFCI sub panel and it has two spots for 120v breakers you can add. It would be about the same thing as far as I can see.

Only thing I can think of is if it is 220 now and there is no neutral wire?

Shed should have it's own power source.
Left everyone guessing what size wire was run to the pump house, 120 or 240 volt, what type wire and number of wires.
Going to get a whole lot of questions and a bunch of guesses until you fill in the blanks.

I can run a new conduit but would rather not just for a sprinkler timer.

Shed should have it's own power source.
Left everyone guessing what size wire was run to the pump house, 120 or 240 volt, what type wire and number of wires.
Going to get a whole lot of questions and a bunch of guesses until you fill in the blanks.

You need to open the bottom section of the box shown in the last photo of the boxes. I'm assuming that box is for your pump. take a close up photo of whats in there and tell us how many amp that is stated to be. other way to do it is take a photo of where the pump wires exit the main box at the house.

Get a close up of the box on the right. I can't read it in the picture above.

The box and cover in pic # 3 and 4. Does it say Pumptec anywhere?

How many feeds are there to this cluster and what are the breaker/s?

Can you identify the conductors entering the pump control box?

Last edited:
Back