Cathedral Ceilings

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissLaurus

Reaction score
Does anyone have any practical advice about heating rooms that have cathedral ceilings (residential)? Thanks!

In floor heating, or lots of big ceiling fans blowing down is about all you can do.

I don't think a lot of fans would be necessary (or comfortable), just enough to keep air circulating.

Ae they use to be referred too, fly chasers.

This company makes a tube with a fan in it that hangs from the ceiling and pumps hot air from above down to floor level. I believe others make something similar and it wouldn't be hard to DIY something like this.

https://tube-works.com/

@bud16415 Thanks I forwarded that link to my son who has cathedral ceiling open design.

I have had trayed ceilings in each of my last two houses. I did have a ceiling fan in both of the rooms, but really, never had an issue with uneven heat in those rooms, even without running the fan.

We have ceiling fans in most rooms in our house. I never run them in the winter. I find the moving air is cooling to the skin and that over whelms any benefit of moving the warm air down. If you're going to run fans in your cathedral ceiling run them at the lowest speed and reverse them from the summer direction. This is an area where in-floor hydronic heat really shines. It puts the heat at your feet and gently rises keeping you warm. It is extremely rare in the south where I live today.

Does anyone have any practical advice about heating rooms that have cathedral ceilings (residential)? Thanks!
Well insulated ceilings, walls, floors, and windows to keep heat in...

A single high ceiling fan running on low in a cathedral ceiling open plan LR, DR and kitchen doesn't cause any noticeable air current yet seems to keep temperature uniform.

Latest posts

Back