Cement, Concrete, or Asphalt?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodyG

Reaction score
I have a very old driveway that's gone from gravel ( 1860 ) surface to cement panels to the current asphalt surface. I'm seeing cracks on the surface, some 1" to 3" wide x 1.5" D, various lengths. Can I use cement to fill the cracks, concrete, asphalt crack filler ( last choice )?

Thanks

Welcome.
Bagged asphalt patch is readily available.

Thanks for the suggestion . . . I'm pretty sure asphalt won't fit into some of the cracks. I'll probably go with the cement.

For the narrow cracks you use an asphalt patch/sealant that comes in a caulking tube. It may be time to bite the bullet and get it rebuilt. Post some pictures.

Around here asphalt is often put down as a base and then tar and chip is done as a sealer and in the future as needed tar and chip again. There are a few places with smaller equipment that will do residential driveways.

In my experience once asphalt starts to go and if you live in a freeze thaw area you will be chasing the problem every year.

The suggestion to take it out and start over is good but expensive. Cracked up as it is I think is still a good base for an overlay material.

I have never had good luck with the cold patch asphalt bagged stuff, but again we live in a northern state with rough winters.

Latest posts

Back