? Ceramic repair

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColinX

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I have just joined this forum and I am trying to discover how to repair a broken "ceramic" cup/glass.

Having bought a Queimada set, (“Galician Fire Drink” with cover and ladle, with 12 ceramic handled cups hanging around the side), one of the cups dropped and broke.

I bought and applied some Super Glue ( 'Ceramic' indixated as one of it's uses) but it would not set and the ‘repaired’ cup fell apart after five minutes.

The material looks like pottery with a glazed exterior.

I would ask if anyone can advise me what type of “glue” – for want of a better word, may be used to join the broken pieces, which now obviously have a coating of dried superglue on them?!

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I think acetone will remove super glue. I have used Weldbond to glue glass,ceramic and ceramic tile (I glued a cup handle but confess that I haven't used the cup) following these instructions;

Glass, Stained Glass, Clear Glass, Glass Tile.

Dries clear. Adheres glass to glass or glass to many other surfaces.

Step 1: Seal all pieces of glass with the mixture (5 parts water to 1 part Weldbond®). For larger pieces, seal only one side that you wish to adhere. Let dry approximately 1 hour.

Step 2: Apply Weldbond® full strength. Allow to become tacky before bringing together, approximately 1 minute. Use sparingly. Lightly clamp or tape material in position until fully cured. (Minimum 24 hours or more depending on room temperature or humidity. Eg. Drying time in the desert is quicker than say, in the jungle.)

Whiteness indicates that curing is not complete. Crystal-clear dry may take up to 30 days.

1682179422134.png

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply, Edie T,
I shall try to get some of that, however, as I am in Spain, I am unsure if it is available here.
I will try to come back to let you know, if I am successful!

Regards

Colin.

I will give my advice as not being an expert on glues.

I have had better luck with the “Gel” versions of super-glues for such projects. The gel super-glues are made by most of the same brands as the thin versions. The gels come in a bottle and may require shaking before use. With them being thicker they fill the gaps better IMO.

https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-1364...locphy=9006390&hvtargid=pla-356981526692&th=1

I looked up a set and found these pics. It's neat especially with the fire. I wonder why the set hasn't become popular in the US for eggnog (w/o the fire)? Were you planning on using the broken cup or just hanging it for decoration? My brother spent some time at the NASA station outside Madrid. He enjoyed the tasca hopping tradition in Madrid.
1682349828510.png1682349991384.png

Last edited:
I will give my advice as not being an expert on glues.

I have had better luck with the “Gel” versions of super-glues for such projects. The gel super-glues are made by most of the same brands as the thin versions. The gels come in a bottle and may require shaking before use. With them being thicker they fill the gaps better IMO.

bud16415 Thanks for your reply, I will check it out and see Regards​

Colin.

Back