Ceramic Tub Incloser

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Radioman

Reaction score
Hello All

I want to redo my bathroom I am gutting down to the to by fors. I want to have a ceramic shower. Does anybody have input on this is there special grout to use so things do leak. Any suggestions would be helpful..

Thanks Again
Radioman

The walls must have a waterproof substrate such as cement board, with a membrane under it.

The floors must have a waterproof membrane ( vinyl, lead, copper) with mortar preslope bed on top of that.

Lots of books available. Do some research before you tackle this. It is a lot of work, but not a lot of $$$ to do it all yourself and end up with a beautiful shower which will last 20++ years.

And keep us up to date, this is a project I'd like to do in the future as well!

I want to redo my bathroom I am gutting down to the to by fors. I want to have a ceramic shower. Does anybody have input on this is there special grout to use so things do leak.

Is this a "ceramic shower" from the ground up or is this a "ceramic shower" from a bathtub up?

Let's clear some misnomers right up front:

Tile-grout IS NOT waterproof and it will have the ability to wick moisture. This is why cement boards are used for the walls. Cement boards also ARE NOT waterproof but they also are not bothered by moisture. There is no need to have the shower totally waterproofed (per se) but this can easily be done if desired. All showers and tub surrounds do however require a moisture barrier ON THE STUDS.

If not in a tub arrangement then YES the shower floor (receptor) must be waterproofed.
Todays pan receptor liners are mostly vinyl though in some areas lead is still used but very outdated and suseptible to failing. Copper shouldn't even be considered these days as the seams must be sealed with lead which is a problem.

The "pre-slope" goes BELOW the pan-liner and not above it. It goes: moisture barrier, metal lath (if desired) sloping cement pre-slope, vinyl pan liner with "special" floor drain", sloping top cement floor sloping not less than 1/4" per foot, tile, grout.

YES there are books available and I would suggest you also research this subject until you are exhausted before attempting this. Be sure the information you are getting is from qaulified sources as you have already been given some iffy advice right here.:)

These showers are a real project in my opinion. Not just a do it yourself task, heck even the pro's don't do it right some of the time.
To go through all that trouble and screw it up yourself, with no recourse but to tear it out and try to fail again, would cost more than having someone do it who is insured and has done this before.
It's your money.....

One more thing to add is you NEED to test the pan for leaks before you install the base tile.

Good luck, I have done many of these so I speak from experience.
(Just like Bud):D

Musta scared the hell out of them.:) Funny how reality does that from time to time.:)

Hello All

Getting back to the ceramic shower enclosure I have completed it I used the schluter shower system for this project worked out great thanks for everybody input.

Thanks Again
Radioman

GOOD CHOICE!

Schluter Systems offers some great products.:)

Back