Circuit breakers are tripping randomly for no reason

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MRubenzahl

Reaction score
This is very odd. As I posted yesterday, I had an AFCI circuit breaker go bad a week or so ago. Then, yesterday, I noticed that three breakers, all next to each other on the panel, (not AFCI) were tripped. No apparent reason. Strange. I flipped them back on, all ok.

Then today, I suddenly had no water anywhere in the house. I checked the breaker panel and the breakers for the well pump had tripped. Again, no apparent reason.

It's a 12-year-old house, nothing new I can think of other than my poking around in the panel several times in the past few days. I can't think of anything I am doing that can cause breakers to trip, and they didn't trip while I was there.

Any theories?

some possibilities are breakers going bad or well pump going bad or something causing the well pump to over amp.

Update. No more incidents. What was weird was that all three of the top floor breakers tripped, then a day later, the well pump circuit. A few days after I had an AFCI breaker go out. Weird...

I hope never have to upgrade my system. Electricity isn't out to get me and I am comfortable working with it. It seems the protective devices that fail are the cause tor many homeowners to attempt electrical work. My wiring just seems to do its job w/o problems with the exception being a master breaker that failed. It prolly should have been recalled but it lasted 25 years.

I wonder if there is a short somewhere or if something happened to cause it-- like a brownout or power surge you didn't notice. I'm on a well system too so I feel your pain on the water going out bc the breaker tripped. In my case its more often something went wrong with the pump.

Back