Clean, caulk tub surround

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yod12

Reaction score
I've had some mold in a few areas around the bathtub for months.
I tried industrial cleaner, vinegar, baking soda, alcohol, pumice stone, Magic Eraser and
then finally Clorox Clean Up w bleach. The next day, there wasn't a trace of it.
Now I see some cracks in those areas. I was going to just put some caulk over them.
Then I see for some reason that's a no no. I did see a product that you can do
this...Permatex or something. Any experiences with this?

Attachments

• Tub caulk cracks.jpg
    Tub caulk cracks.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 30
Pictures so blurry it's hard to tell much.
Something just looks very wrong from what I can sort of see in the picture.
Why does it look like there's about a 1" strip of caulking?

Can't see anything from that picture. But if the old caulk was silicone, keep in mind that nothing will stick to cured silicone, not even more silicone. If you remove the silicone, you need to scrub the surfaces very well to eliminate any trace of the old silicone.

I didn't know this until I owned a RV. Its cheap is why it hasn't gone away

This is what i do, remove all the silicone caulking with an exacto knife . then spray bleach on to any and all mold several times.
then get in scrub the corners and remove and debris. the put paper towel in the cracks to soak up any liquid left. then get the hair dryer and go over all this area so that it is 100% dry. i would wait overnight if possible to make sure that it is dry. th11e go and buy silico two white caulking and fill the corners and edges . wait on day and then enjoy. i have done this every ten years in my house . silicone will eventually have mold on it but it will take several years to grow back.

I had best luck with a mineral spirits soak, finger nail (blades scratch) and a huge eraser to get every last bit of silicone off. Then never use silicone again

Thanks everyone. This would be helpful if I had silicone. But it's not. I re-caulked the whole thing about 7 - 8 years ago and was surprised how well it turned out. I used Polyseamseal, and went over it again this time with the same stuff. Looks perfect.

Back