Concrete countertops.

Discussion in 'General Home Improvement Discussion' started by Texas5050, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Jul 11, 2017 #1

Texas5050

Texas5050

Texas5050

Do you have them? Do you like them? We are thinking of doing them ourselves. Any Iva of how they hold up and feedback on if you have them and like them is greatly appreciated!

2. Jul 11, 2017 #2

1acre

1acre

1acre

I started a "how-to" over at another forum on concrete. http://www.diychatroom.com/f98/gfrc-concrete-countertops-511354/

My opinion is that if you aren't going to shoot GFRC or have someone shoot it for you, don't waste your time. GFRC is amazingly strong and I am confident it will hold up to any abuse you can throw at it. I believe it still comes out to $10-$15/sq ft, so it is hardly inexpensive.... lots of cool stuff you can do.

3. Jul 12, 2017 #3

Snoonyb

Snoonyb

Snoonyb

Their popularity peeks and wanes.

I did a few of them 25yrs. or so ago, and they were basically the same as a tile counter, just composed using white cement, shaded and patterned, or not.

4. Jul 17, 2017 #4

Steve123

Steve123

Steve123

The trouble I see with concrete is that it is porous. Sure, you should be putting a sealer on it every year (or every 6 months or.....) I drink red wine and I drink tomato juice ---- concrete or natural stone just too risky for me.

5. Jul 17, 2017 #5

Chris

Chris

Chris

I did a concrete counter on my bar outside and used quickcrete gloss concrete sealer and didn't touch it for five years, then sold the house and it still looked new. No staining or anything.