Concrete Pad, are there footings?

Discussion in 'Framing and Foundation' started by JulieC, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Apr 19, 2008 #1

JulieC

JulieC

JulieC

We have a 1970's era split level house that I am contempating several addition variations on. One of these is extending the dining room out about 6'. We use the dining room daily and it is just too small. I know we can cantilever a 2' extension without doing any foundation work. There is an existing concrete pad that extended out about 10'. I'm wondering if there are footers under there already? If there are, it's not going to be expensive to go the extra 4'.

I just took a picture that explains it better. There are the existing steps from the walk-out family room on the half-basement level (in bad repair, thinking about filling it in and making it not-walk-out. The dining room is next (the windows), we want french doors instead of the windows to fix the bad traffic pattern to our backyard. Next is the kitchen, which extends out 6' past the dining room, hence the 6' bump out idea.

I have a couple different thoughts that would work for the roof, right now I am thinking about the foundation. There is basement underneath the dining room/kitchen, so that side is good. Is there any way I can tell if there are other footers under that concrete pad?

backdining.jpg

2. Apr 19, 2008 #2

Square Eye

Square Eye

Square Eye

Around the edges of your slab, you may find a footer if you dig for it but on a slab no bigger than that, especially since it's a patio, there are probably no pier footers under there. Many times a slab like that will be sitting on the footers around the edges and the rock fill underneath has settled down and away from the slab.

3. Apr 19, 2008 #3

JulieC

JulieC

JulieC

Thanks for the help!

4. Apr 20, 2008 #4

guyod

guyod

guyod

a 6' addition is a bad idea as far as getting a return on your money when you sell plus it is just a lot of work and money. for 70sf the money and time might be better spent on a 4 season room or just a larger addition.

5. Apr 30, 2008 #5

fred333

fred333

fred333

I think that just looks like cinder blocks.