Confused about wallpaper coverage

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

house92

Reaction score
Is wallpaper sq feet calculated differently than other things. I notice online that a specific one that I like covers 30 sq feet. The room I'm covering is 14 by 12 and 8 ft walls. I calculate that at 416 sq feet of wall space. Sure, there are doors and windows, but that is the basis measure. Does that mean I'll need 13 rolls, and at $40 a roll, it's going to cost $520 just for paper for one room? Am I calculating incorrectly? That just seems like a lot.

:agree: Wall paper has fallen out of fashion somewhat and what remains on line are classic hand printed reproduction and the like. It can be quite pricey. I think you can still buy more budget friendly products. many paint stores still sell it. I haven't hung any in 35 years.

Something else to think about is the match line. if you get a print with a large match distance you may have to throw away a foot or two on each pass.

The reason I wanted wallpaper was to cover a wall that is somewhAt rough. The house is old, and I removed some paneling that had warped over the years. Underneath was wallpaper that had probably been there since the 50s. When I removed it, the sheetrock was a bit rough. I painted it for now, but was looking for something to hide the rough look.

Some wallpapers are thicker and designed to hide a little better. I'm not at all interested in turning it into a major project. I don't want to sand and fill holes and seams. I just don't have the motivation. So, if not wallpaper, are there any other suggestions?

There is a product called wallpaper bridging material. Used for wallpaper over rough or bad surface. I have seen people put that up and then paint.

You are calculating correctly, a square ft is a square ft.

I assumed as much, but just wanted to ask to be sure. I was thinking along the lines that what is called a 2 x 4 is really 1.5 by 3.5. I also learned that what is called a 6' door doesn't measure the same today as one bought when my grandparents built their house. So, I thought something similar might be going on in the world of wallpaper.

Back