Contractor wants paid up front

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you have people like yourself honest and Faithful to there customer you don't forget that. The next time they want something done they will remember and more than likely they will hire you back.

I might have more skills and experience than the average home owner but not being a contractor I still view this from the homeowners viewpoint and on the rare occasion I hire work done I’m first very selective and take my time finding people I know and trust from the past or really check them out to the best of my abilities. I also try and have the project planned to the best of my abilities and ask them to quote on what I want not what they think I need. I am always clear though that I will entertain their ideas when different than mine and when they explain a better way I’m open to changing the plan. I don’t like surprises and I let them know that. I also explain that I know surprises come along in every project and I need to know about them as soon as they do and we will make adjustments to the quoted amount then not when the project is done and they give me the bill with the oh by the way statement.

I understand a lot of people don’t have the knowledge to run their own project and in those cases I would suggest you find a third party to sit with you and help you. I have done this for years for family members and friends and I think most people know someone that can help getting the process started and look in on the progress as it gets underway. My mother used to send me her women friends places all the time to look at something and offer advice or help them get in contact with the right people or sometimes actually fix something simple. I got a lot of pies and cakes and cookies for my efforts as I wouldn’t take payment. I always thought there was a job in there someplace maybe when I retire I will hire out.

I feel sorry for the OP as I know you are not alone, I have heard this same story too many times. They even have a TV show now where they go around and right these wrongs. I wish more people would come here first instead of last.

As a roofing contractor, we don't and won't itemize quotes other than material options. When we install a roof, we install a system, not just a material. All of the components have to function with each other, underlayments, ventilation, flashings, fasteners, starters and capping.

If I have a customer that wants to do their own tear off, I walk away. If I have a customers that wants to use 3 tab shingles on a dimensional shingle I walk away. If I get the feeling that a customer has unrealistic expectations of how the process works or the final outcome, I walk away. I can see both sides of the issue and when I go out and do a inspection of a roof, I'm also determining if I want to work with this customer. There's been more than one occasion that I wouldn't work for a customer if they paid me twice as much upfront to do their roof.

Key is, finding someone you are comfortable with, get several quotes and NEVER pay in full until you are 100% satisfied.

Latest posts

Back